Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reader Extending Designer Form in Acrobat Pro 8

Former Community Member
Dear All,

Last year I managed to put together an organisational survey where users fill in a form created in Designer 7.0 and then hit a submit button which spits all entered data out to an MS Database. It worked great.

I reader extended this survey to work on adobe reader 7.0 as that was what was installed on most of the client machines at the time.

Now I am revising the survey for 2008 but running into a problem which has just about got the better of me.

No matter what I do, running the reader extended form in adobe reader ver x.x does not submit the entered data to the database. Yet if I run it in Acrobat Pro or the preview tab through Designer, it works fine.

For simplicity, I have created a test form.

It only has a text field which is linked to a field within an MS database. The MS database only has 1 field.

The form then has a submit button which contains the following java code for the click event.

xfa.sourceSet.test.update();

xfa.sourceSet.test.close();

app.alert("Worked!!!!");

Another button (which is set to invisible) contains the following java code

xfa.sourceSet.test.open();

xfa.sourceSet.test.addNew();

which is triggered on the initialize event.

All works fine until I have to open the form in Acrobat Pro 8 to reader extend it. The saved reader extended version when opened in any reader version, does nothing when clicking the submit button. Yet I know it has been successfully reader extended because when opening in reader 7.0 it says you can save data entered in this form.

I have tried with Designer 7.0 but same thing.

When I open the form I created in early 2007 in Reader 7.0 and it works I sit mystified and say "How?"

The issue is definetly with the reader extending.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated as I have exhausted all avenues I can think of.

Thanking You in advance.

Daniel
0 Replies