I have two PCs, onewas installed with Acrobat Pro 8.2.1 and the other one with 9.3.1. I have a form with the web service and it works fine on the PC with 9.3.1 installed but not on the one with 8.2.1. Every time I run the form, I get the same error like Elaine had. I compared all the setting for the 2 PCs and could not find any thing different so I could not tell why it is not working on one PC but not the other. I even tested on other user PC with 8.2.1 install and get the same error. Do you have any idea about this issue? Can you help on this?
Thanks in advance,
Thanks for your quick reply, Jasmin. It does work for the web service that connect to the external dabase but not for the one from LC database. I even added "All principal" to it but it still just work for one with 9.3.1 not for the one with 8.2.1. Note that RE is also applied to the form.
"It does work for the web service that connect to the external database but not for the one from LC database"
I'm not sure I get that part.
Are you saying one web service work and the other one doesn't?
Sorry I'm just getting confused.
Jasmin, sorry for the confusion.
Let me explain a little bit more. My form actually has 2 web services that created in workbench ES. One is queried thru the external data source (not LiveCycle tables) and the other one is queried thru edcprincipaluserentity (LiveCycle table) which is still not working regardless of the disable of security. It just work on the PC that has Acrobat Professional 9.1.3 but not on the one has 8.2.1 note that both of PCs do have a newest version of Reader.
Ok, I'm getting there. Let me summarize.
So you have two web services that you created with LiveCycle Workbench. One of them queries an external database and the other on queries the Adobe internal database, right?
Now, you are trying to invoke these two web services from within a PDF in two different environments:
- First environment has Acrobat 9.1.3 and the latest version of Reader.
- Second environment has Acrobat 8.2.1 but also has the latest version of Reader.
In the first environment (9.1.3) both web services work.
In the second environment (8.2.1) , I don't think they work properly.
You have removed security and set the Run As-> System on both web services.
You've enabled record and playback on both web services to make sure they are being called and complete properly.
There is no error in the server.log file.
Let me know if this is accurate.
Yes, your summary is accurate.
The 2 errors below does show whenever the form runs on the second environment with Pro 8.2.1 and latest Reader.
"[3/19/10 13:54:08:975 CDT] 00000029 WorkflowDSCIn E com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.invoker.WorkflowDSCInvoker logFailedFaultRouting An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCException message:No Credential or Context set while invoking service SetValue and operation execute and no fault routes were found to be configured."
"[3/19/10 14:41:02:264 CDT] 00000052 WorkflowDSCIn E com.adobe.idp.workflow.dsc.invoker.WorkflowDSCInvoker logFailedFaultRouting An exception was thrown with name com.adobe.idp.dsc.DSCException message:No Credential or Context set while invoking service JdbcService and operation querySingle and no fault routes were found to be configured."
Since that web service does have LDAP service include so I removed its security in the AdminUI as well and it works fine!
I talked to other friend at a different company and they surprised too that I have to remove the security for those services. I think it is just temporary to fix right now but later if we have a new web service that use one of those service with the security then the web service above will be broken again.
It is really strange and I am wonder if it is a bug or not. Here is our server environment is LC ES 8.2.1 with SP3, QF 3.06, 3.12, and 3.19 on Windows Server 2003.
If you have any update on fixing it, please post as well.
Thank you and Have a Nice Weekend!
I'm suprised too.
This is for this reason that we implemented the Run As functionality. This Run As should run all the different services under a specific account so you don't have to remove security.
Maybe check with support.