Expand my Community achievements bar.

Parallel Processing

Former Community Member
Hello All,

I'm a new bee to this livecycle. I'm using LiveCycle 8.0.1

I need to have parallel processing at the end of my process. Which is the better method to use.

At the end, process flow branches and never join so can i still use gateway. I read about gateways, it looks like, it can be used in the middle of the processing where the flow joins afterwards.

I have something like this

|-----> B

A --->|

|-----> C

Where B ends on its own and C ends on its own.

Please guide me

Thanks

Deepak
7 Replies

Level 10
You're right the gateway has top join back.

What you could do is have B and C be sub-processes. That way they are going to get called, and you're Gateway can complete, but B and C will still be active.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Hello Jasmin,

Thanks for your reply,

What will happen if I delete the routes that join back. I Think the effect would be same right...? Because in some documentation, I read that we can delete the join back routes of gateway.

One more important question: Lets say I have an assign task control A, which is not part of the gateway G. In anyways can I include that into the gateway flow. Wheneever i try to edit the branch all existing controls become locked. So how can i include A into G. Meaning, how can i include already existing controls into newly created gateway.

Thanks

Deepak

Level 10
"What will happen if I delete the routes that join back. I Think the effect would be same right...? "

Not really. You'll end up with a process that will never complete. It will always be in an active state. That's might not be good for reporting for example.

"Meaning, how can I include already existing controls into newly created gateway. "

That's a good point. Since all items get locked, you can't drag them. A little work around could be to copy the item, let's say outside the gateway, and then paste it when you edit the branch.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Hello Jasmin,

Thanks for your reply.

OK then, if I change the flow like the following then it would be ok right?

|-----> B -----|

A --->|````````````````|-------> Dummy

|-----> C -----|

Let that dummy activity be any thing like any assignment step.

Now the process will end properly, I think.

The thing is B and C are very small processing elements, like one or two connections. I dont want them to put in different process.

I want both in the actual process, so the flow looks meaningful.

The actual problem is after one particular step, i need to assign two different forms to the same process creator. So i have chosen gateway to assign them parallelly. Is there any better alternative?

Deepak

Former Community Member
Deepak,

When you set up your gateway, you have 3 options: AND-WAIT, OR-WAIT, and NO-WAIT. If you set it up for NO-WAIT, this will initiate the branches and still move forward in the process without waiting for the branches to complete. I believe this will give you the result you are looking for.

Hope this helps!

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group

Former Community Member
Hello Justin,

Thanks for your reply... :)

The thing is, the gateway is the last element in my process flow. So i dont care about the further flow. Even if it waits for the other step or not.

In workbench 8.0.1, even if you delete the last branch (top join back) and save. the next time u open, the branches will be there. Cant i overcome this?

Thanks

Deepak

Level 10
Why don't you just let the Gateway complete like Justin is suggesting. It won't hurt and the process would terminate gracefully.

Jasmin