Expand my Community achievements bar.

NEWBIE - Submit XDP?

Former Community Member
Hi - Total LiveCycle newbie here... We have created a form and would like to use LiveCycle to collect the data. For this form, for right now, the simplest way may be to use the submit format XML Data Package (XDP).

I'm not a coder so the data stream options are over my head for now. By using the XDP submit method, does that create a file that is saved? Do I specify where to save it via the url?

I have tried using a url that looks like this:

http://mywebserver.com/forms/ but I'm not seeing any file in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
3 Replies

Former Community Member
The submit operation posts the file format chosen to a web server (no different than an HTML page). The web server would have a program to reciebe this transmission and do what you want with it.

If you simply want to save the file to the file system then there are menu commands in Acrobat to allow that. You could also create a button on the form to save the file locallay as well. It does the same thing as the menu command it just makes it easier for your users to click a button rather than deal with menus in Acrobat.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the reply.

This is an online form, so ideally we would want the form to be saved onto the webserver (or other server) so we can grab the data and then do our manipulation. By "saving locally", you mean the users would be saving the file to their HD?

What type of program do we need to receive the XDP package. Is the "package" considered a file?

Thanks for helping this newb out.

Former Community Member
It is not a file per se ...it is a posting to a web server. The program to recieve the information will be dependant on the Web Server that you are sending to. These programs are Java servlets, ASPs, JSPs, .Net apps to name a few.