Highlighted

New to LiveCycle need some help. How to....

25-06-2008

I am new to Livecyle but it has been pretty easy to figure out the basics. I have two questions. I am using LiveCycle Designer 8.0.

First:

When I place the "submit by e-mail" button on a form, does it only send back to me as an XML file? If yes, is there a way to change that so it sends as a PDF? If there is no way to change it to an XML file, how and what program do I need to read the XML file?

Second:

If I send a form out to a customer say and want them to keep it and save it for their use, is there a way to do this. Everytime I send it to myself it prompts me that I will be unable to save and can only print the form for personal use.

Replies

Highlighted

26-06-2008

Hi,

First: If you use the submit by email button, only xml is available as a choice. Instead, insert a Button, browse to the Object tab, and you will find the submit tab. Submit to URL: "mailto:" This will open the email application. Here you can set submit as PDF.

The XML file can be read in a standard text editor, or a xml parser.

Second: I believe you can only save the forms using Acrobat. For Acrobat Reader, I think you must enable Reader Extensions to be able to save the form.

I hope this helps you.
Highlighted
Highlighted

03-07-2008

Hi there,

I just wanted to thank you guys because you just answered the problem I'm trying to solve since last week.

I'm in the same position as Greg, I learned the basics for Adobe Designer and was able to do some of what I wanted to, but now my form works perfectly well and I'm able to receive it as a pdf file.

I'll post Daniel's trick in every other forum I went to post my problem!

Thanks again 🙂

Chris
Highlighted

03-07-2008

Hi there,

In regards to your answer to the question about Livecyle:

"When I place the "submit by e-mail" button on a form, does it only send back to me as an XML file? If yes, is there a way to change that so it sends as a PDF? If there is no way to change it to an XML file, how and what program do I need to read the XML file?"

I followed your instructions and added mailto: in the URL, but when I press the newly created button on my form to submit the email message, it creates an email form WITHOUT a SEND option. I am totally perplexed. Any ideas?
Highlighted

03-07-2008

Another thank you. I spent two days trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I'm another beginner and the only problem was that I was receiving forms back from customers in "code" and had to read between the codes to find the details. Not ideal. But now all is good. I think that it is misleading and confusing that the "submit email" button included by default doesn't give the option to send as pdf.

Many more people must be struggling with this one. But thanks for the answers here.

Cheers,

Tricia
Highlighted

04-07-2008

Hi Whitney,

What email client are you using? Is it outlook, or a web client? I have no problem sending the generated email from outlook. You could send me your form if you like, and I can see if I get the same behaviour. My email address is daniel(at)wittwer.info.
Highlighted

04-07-2008

Hi Tricia,

I agree that reading the xml file manually is not ideal. However, it can be very useful when the response is to be imported into a database or such. I also agree that not being able to change the "submit as email" button is frustrating. I am glad that it works fine for you.