Expand my Community achievements bar.

Need any sample barcoded form

Former Community Member
Hi,

i´m new to livecycle and to adobe forms. I´ve managed to develop some forms but i´m having dificulties to develop a barcoded form.

I´ve seen the "sample_barcoded_demo.pdf". but couldn´t open it using designer in order to see how it was done. The file requested a password.

Does anyone have any sample barcoded form or knows where i can find some samples ?

I wanted to see several samples in order to understand how they work and the difference between the kind of barcoded forms that can exist (different barcod objects)

Thanks,
7 Replies

Level 7
Do you have the LiveCycle Barcoded Forms product?

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Here are a couple of samples to get you started. Both included random data generators that give you an idea of the capacity of different kinds and sizes of Barcodes.

http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/barcodedformssamplepdf417capacity/

http://my.adobe.acrobat.com/barcodedformssamplepdf417qrcodedatamatrixcapacity/

What kinds of samples and functionality are you looking for exactly?

Lee.

Former Community Member
hi aandi,

I have livecycle designer installed.

I tried to create a form, with one Paper forms barcode on it, in order to let me submit/print the form and read the barcode later.

I´ve managed that. I have also the hand scanner to read the document.

I did read the barcode, using the scanner, into a notepad document. Saved this document as xml. I have a button to import the xml into the pdf.

This is what i have until now.

The idea is to have a form that a user can fill and then submit/print on a personal PC. Later the data on this form sould be scanned into a new form (a copy of the original form) hosted on another PC. I could ask the users to send the form by e-mail or to give access to it on a web browser. But i was asked to do this solution using the barcode/hand scanner.

I only have livecycle designer + livecycle forms + reader extensions. For what i saw, it wouldn´t be possible to do this proccess just with this products. In order to be able to "scan" the barcode into a new form i need other product, the barcoded forms. is that it ??

Thanks,

Rui

Former Community Member
Hi lee,

I work for a company that represents adobe products. the idea is to have some samples to show our customers.

í was asked to develop a sample that does the following :

- the user should fill the form and hand it over to the customer

using one of the following options.

(by mail, by hand)

- the document should them be scanned into the customer system.

(in this case i was asked to develop it in order to use the usb

hand scanner)

- the form available on the customer´s balcony should then be loaded

with the data that comes in the original document, and submited

into the customer system.

I did this process, but had to use a notepad file. The data is scanned into a notepad file and then saved in a xml file. this xml file is then imported into the pdf.

But i wanted to make this process directly without using notepad.

Is scanning the data directly to the form possible ?

thanks,

Rui

Former Community Member
Hi Rui,

What you need to do then is use a Tab delimited formatted barcode and absolutely no XML.

Using XML in a barcode is actually never a good idea because the capacity is limited and XML tags sometimes use up more space in the barcode than the data itself.

For a hand scanner demo you can create a simple form that encodes data into a Barcode using the tab delimited format without field headers. THis will allow the hand scanner to scan the barcode and enter data into your "back-end" application without much fuss.

The trick is to encode the data into the barcode exactly as it should be represented into your application.

Here's an example:

I open up my "New Customer Creation" screen and on that screen to enter a new customer I need to do the following:

- Enter the first name

- Press TAB

- Enter the last name

- Press TAB

- Enter the birth date in MM/DD/YYYY format

- Press TAB

- Enter the Street Address

- Press TAB

So what I would encode into the Barcode would be something like this:

(in the calculate or prePrint of the Barcode)

this.rawValue =

firstName.rawValue +

"\t" +

lastName.rawValue +

"\t" +

birthdate.rawValue +

"\t" +

streetAddress.rawValue +

"\t";

When scanned with a hand scanner configured as a Keyboard Wedge scanner this would enter data into the keyboard buffer in the correct order.

If you are a reseller you can also request a Barcoded Forms Decoder license so you can decode scanned images (either TIFF or PDF) and integrate data right into back-end systems.

Lee

(lsutton at adobe dot com)

Former Community Member
Hi Rui,

For your demonstration, what kind of hand scanner will you be using?

This is actually important because some hand scanners can be configured to scan an "image" directly to the hard drive instead of the keyboard buffer through the serial port. This is much more flexible than a dump to the keyboard buffer.