Expand my Community achievements bar.

Mulit-Lingual PDF

Former Community Member
Hi,

We have a requirement to create PDFs in 11 languages: English; Japanese; Chinese Traditional & Simplified; Korean; French; Spanish; German; Italian; Russian; Thai. (The captions for the 20-30 fields need to be in differet languages)

These PDF files will be available as links from a web-site. The web-site will be in a particular language so will be able to make the language available to the PDF via the URL Call to that PDF. Some additional parameters including name and email address eill be made available from the URL call.

So when the user clicks on the PDF, it will open in their language and be pre-populated with some of the details of the user they are logged onto the website as.

Once the form is completed on the website, a submit button will send the PDF and some parameters via a URL call to a Java Servlet which will attach it as an e-mail and send it.

The above design means that there will have to be 11 copies of the template

to be maintained.

Is it possible (without creating a process in LiveCycle to dynamically create the PDF with the captions dynamically populated) to dynamicaly populate captions in a PDF. The business don't want to rely on the availbility of the LiveCycle server for this process.

I thought about having the javascript in the initialize event for each field with if "English" then caption.rawValue"Name" etc.

I just wondered how any-one else would approach this.

Thanks

James
1 Reply

Former Community Member
There is nothing wrong with your approach but in practice there will be a lot of code just to do language. The amount of code required will affect performance of the form (as well you will have issues with space as each phrase in a caption is a different length in different languages).

Another technique would be to have the captions of each of the fields kept in a separate XML file and have them bound to the caption of each field. When your user selects a language you would merge the language specific XML file onto the template and you would achive what you want. Note that you would need LC server for this.

In my experience Customers who have tried to do multi-lingual forms end up creating single language templates to reduce that amount of complexity required.