Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

MS Word 2007 and LiveCycle?

Former Community Member
I am trying to import Word Doc's into LiveCycle. When I do this with my new workstation (Vista and Office 07) I get an error saying "Word (xp or onwards)could not be found on the machine." Is there a patch or workaround known? Thanks for any help.
14 Replies

Former Community Member
I'm having the same issue. I haven't found anything published on it yet. Thanks for any help.

Former Community Member
I am having the same issue. I have office 2007 installed but im trying to import a word 2003 doc and it gives me the same error "Word (xp or onwards)could not be found on the machine."

I have opened up a ticket but since I haven't found anything in forums, knowledge base or on the web. I doubtful of a resolution. Its very frustrating that Adobe and Microsoft have chosen not to play well together.

Former Community Member
Notes to Customer

Thursday, June 7, 2007 10:20:14 AM PDT

Hello John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe® Web Support for assistance with Adobe

Acrobat 8®

I understand you have been unable to import your Word 2003® document

into LiveCycle

Designer 8®, and that you have Word 2007® installed.

The patch updated Acrobat (not Designer) to interact properly with

Office 2007. This will

allow you to import the Word document into Acrobat. You can then bring

the PDF into

Designer. Form field names might not be preserved if following this

route, but you can use

form field recognition in Acrobat before moving the file to Designer.

Designer 8 came out

before Office 2007 and is not compatible with Word 2007. Designer was

not updated by

the 8.1 patch.

The fact that the file you are working with is a Word 2003 file is not

important in this case.

What is important is that Designer needs a compatible install of Word so

that it can use

Word to push the file through PDF Maker. PDF Maker is the mechanism by

which such

things as fields can be preserved when converting to PDF.

I hope this information helps to resolve your issue. If you require

further assistance with

this issue, please update your web case with complete details, including

what steps you

have applied and any error messages you are receiving.

You may also call Technical Support at (800) 833-6687. We are available

from 6:00 am to

5:00 pm Monday - Friday, Pacific Time.

Kind regards,

Mark E.

Adobe Web Support

Level 1

I can`t seen to find the patch that was sugguested in the solution

Former Community Member
Thanks for the update. The solution is not the best, but it will have to work.

Thanks again.

Former Community Member
I had this problem all day yesterday and finally found this tech note on the Adobe site that worked for me:

http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=329044&sliceId=2

Former Community Member
Hi Alozie

Thanks for your solution. Does it also work for Word 2007?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Bettina Hepp

Former Community Member
Hi Mark

where can I get the patch you were mentioning in your post? I would like to use Lifecycle Designer 8.0 with Microsoft Office 2007. Is there an official statement of Adobe about which versions of MS Office are supported wtih Lifecycle Designer 2008?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Bettina Hepp

Former Community Member
> Does it also work for Word 2007?

Yes it did, though the form fields themselves didn't convert. I had to add them through Acrobat manually. (Note that when I tried to convert the PDF I'd created to a Live Cycle form not all the fields were detected, and the text came over in broken up blocks.)

Also, the process is a little different in Word 2007. I posted the process I used here:

Alozie Nwosu, "Problems converting from MS Word 2007 to PDF using LiveCycle Designer 8" #1, 18 Jan 2...

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
Hi Alozie

As far as I understand, Acrobat PDFMaker Office Add converts a MS Word-Document to a PDF. Afterwards this PDF can be opened with Lifecycle Designer and modified.

But is it also possible to import the Word-Document directly into Lifecycle Designer 8, using Office 2007? Do you know any offical statement from Adobe as to whether this is supported?

Thanks a lot for your help

Best regards

Bettina Hepp

Former Community Member
Hi Bettina,

So far in my working with LifeCycle Designer (only a little over a week) I have not found a way to import Word 2007 documents directly. For importing Word documents from the import wizard, LiveCycle only gives the option for .doc (Word 2003 and prior) and not .docx (Word 2007) files.

And a few days since I implemented Adobe's suggested fix, I've run into another issue where I can not (or no longer - not sure now whether I could before) import .doc files directly to LiveCycle. I now get a dialog box with the error "Word (version XP or onwards) could not be found on this machine."

This has frustrated my efforts to see whether it will convert form fields directly from a Word document into a LiveCycle form. Being that it does a hit-or-miss job with PDF forms from Acrobat, I don't hold out much hope.

Wish I had more helpful info.

Alozie

Former Community Member
Hi Alozie,

yes, I get the same message, because I haven't got the correct ms office versions on my computer. I wonder whether it is possible to get any offical information about this issue. Seems like there are not too many people reading the forum posts.

Thanks again!

Best regards

BEttina

Former Community Member
Alozie Nwosu's solution is not helpful for this issue. If you have Acrobat Pro installed correctly, you can make a better PDF using Adobe Acrobat/Distiller--not the Microsoft Office Add-In.

The problem is clearly documented in the LiveCycle Designer Help:

"About reducing Word conversion problems -

Microsoft Word XP or Microsoft Word 2003 must be installed on the same computer as LiveCycle Designer."

As already noted, if your office (like mine) has migrated to Office 2007, you must first convert to PDF, then to LiveCycle. I recommend adding the interactive form components fresh in LiveCycle, on top of the converted PDF layout. For a good electronic document, you should be reviewing the settings for the interactive objects anyway. While it might seem like extra work at first, LiveCycle is a much better tool than Word for handling data settings and such, and the extra work will pay off.

Of course, if you feel that Word excels in form design and/or want to save time, then skip Acrobat and force everyone to buy Microsoft Office, that's what Microsoft wants your to do... ;-)

-David Hedrick Skarjune, EDP

Level 1

Still have not found any solutions..... anyone with ideas ???