Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

LiveCycle 8 - Preview PDF

Former Community Member
I have just installed Adobe Professional version 8 and found that even though Acrobat reader (the pro version) is loading fine with documents either locally or through a browser, LiveCycle 8 will not allow the use of the Preview PDF in the view settings. It is greyed out.

I have checked and the "file system browser" is checked in the tools, option, document handling, file management section of LiveCycle.

I also checked on the edit preferences section of adobe acrobat profession 8 (reader) to see if the browser option was selected there as well. It was.

I am at a loss to identify why I cannot use the Preview PDF in LiveCycle.

I have removed all free reader versions of adobe and have uninstalled and reinstalled as well as repaired the adobe pro installation with no positive results.

Please explain.
7 Replies

Former Community Member
I downloaded the trial version of Livecycle Designer 8 and am not able to use the PDF Preview (greyed out under View). Can somebody help?

Former Community Member
I'm having the same problem. Preview PDF is greyed out in LiveCycle Designer 8. Did you ever figure this one out?

Level 10
I've seen this behavior when people would install LC Designer BEFORE they install Reader or Acrobat.

Make sure you install the LC Designer after you have Reader or Acrobat installed.

Jasmin

Former Community Member
Thanks Jasmin,

Through the add/remove programs in the control panel, I removed the LiveCycle component of Acrobat 8, then restarted my computer, then reinstalled it...

However...

no change :{

Other info:

When I installed Acro8, I kept Acro6 on my computer, but suspecting this may have been the problem I removed Acro6... no change.

Former Community Member
I had the same issue - drove me nuts!

Ended up solving it by:

opening Adobe Acrobat Professional, go into Edit menu, Preferences, Internet and the box that has Display PDF in browser may/may not be ticked.

If it isn't, tick it and save then go back into Adobe LiveCycle and should be ok. if it already is ticked, un-tick it and save, then go back in and tick again and save - don't know why this works, but it did for me.

Former Community Member
Interesting... Adobe recommend disabling the browser PDF display for users with accessibility issues (screen readers and the like). This could be where I came unstuck... I'll try your workaround Jodie, thanks.