Expand my Community achievements bar.

Layout editor vs hierarchy views

Level 2
I am a newbie, but I have used LiveCycle Designer 8 to create some moderately complex forms. However, I suspect I am missing some very basic understanding.

I have a several page form. For development purposes, the items on each page are enclosed in a positioned subform. There are several page-wide positioned subforms, one above the other. When I change the enclosing form to flowed, several of the subforms rearrange, so that, for example, an item at the bottom of the layout editor is shuffled to the top of the preview.

I have done various copying and pasting operations in laying out the form, and assume that is the problem. I think I can arrange things correctly by dragging them around in the hierarchy view, but I would think there would be a way to force the program to arrange the hierarchy to correspond to the layout view.

Can any of you old hands give me a pointer? Or do I just have to build the forms top-to-bottom, one element at a time, or hassle with moving things around in the hierarchy?
2 Replies

Former Community Member
The easiest way for me is to enclose this subform in another subform and change it to flowed.

For example

Now you have:

Subform B

Fields

Tables

Fields

Objects

Fields

Fields

Lines

Fields

Fields

and you change Subform B to be flowed. Instead of doing that make it like this:

Subform_A

Subform B

Fields

Tables

Fields

Objects

Fields

Fields

Lines

Fields

Fields

and make Subform_A flowed. You won't have to worry about the layout and you will have a dynamic form

Former Community Member
Darrell and Chris (and everyone else)...

This posting touches on the same problem I have. I, too, am a newby. I am attempting to take a standard Boy Scout Adult Resource Survey form and set it up so the user can fill it out and elect to print it and/or email it. Ideally, I'd like to pull the emailed data into a spreadsheet.

Problem is that I have the form more-or-less functional, but I'd like to tiddy up the hierarchy view, and the order within the spreadsheet.

The hierarchy view is a mess. Is there an easy way to cull out the stuff that I don't need and reorder the stuff I have in the hierarcy view so it corresponds more to the layout view?

I've noticed that when I click on a radio button (or other object) I'm supposed to be taken to the correct place within the hierarchy view, but the "highlighing" in gray is to slight that it is very difficult to see.

The form I'm using is located at:

http://www.scouts787.org/boyscout/docs/WORKINGCOPYAdultResourceSurvey.pdf

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Rick