Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Issues encountered attemtping to produce PDF/A using FormsIVS 7.1

Former Community Member
I'm using FormsIVS on Forms 7.1 and seeing the following issues when attempting to produce PDF/A. We have a PDF built w/ Designer 7.1 that submits XML to a servlet which in turn calls Forms to render a PDF/A using the submitted XML as pre-fill. The desired result is a flattened version of the form that was submitted in PDF/A format.

Here's what I'm seeing.....

Scenario 1: Using option "PDFVersion=/A" and output type "PDF" I get the original form without any of the data pre-filled. If I save this file and inspect it, it says the PDF version is 1.6. Expected result: A PDF 1.4 w/ the pre-filled data. What I got: A PDF 1.6 w/ no pre-fill.

Scenario 2: Using option "PDFVersion=1.4" (undocumented) and output type "PDF" I get the original form without any of the data pre-filled. If I save this file and inspect it, it says the PDF version is 1.4. Expected result: A PDF 1.4 (PDF/A) w/ the pre-filled data. What I got: A PDF 1.4 (PDF/A) w/ no pre-fill.

Scenario 3 (sanity check): Using option "PDFVersion=1.6" and output type "PDF" I get the original form with the data pre-filled (as I would expect). If I save this file and inspect it, it says the PDF version is 1.6. Expected result: A PDF 1.6 w/ the pre-filled data. What I got: A PDF 1.6 w/ the pre-filled data. (but this doesn't help me get to my desired result of PDF/A w/ pre-fill)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Using the following options I get a PDF 1.4 document on FS7.2:

CharSet=UTF-8&PageNumber=0&CacheEnabled=false&TaggedPDF=false&AcrobatVersion=auto&FormModel=client&PDFVersion=/A&RenderAtClient=false&LinearPDF=true

Nevertheless the Preflight-Tool integrated in Acrobat says that the PDF/A tag is missing. Additionally the linearization option doesn't work with PDF/A.

Level 6
Hi,

stdc, in your conversion are you passing to formserver a xdp or a pdf? If it is a pdf file, does it have the fonts embedded or formserver embedd them dynamically?

thank you

Former Community Member
I am passing an xdp (and xml data) and receive a pdf/a.

Doing this conversation on a 7.2.2 form server, the resulting pdf now get's recognised as valid pdf/a by the preflight-tool integrated in adobe acrobat 8.0.

even the linearization works now!

Level 6
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I´m using 7.1 and the results to get a pdf/a are not very good, so I think I will use 7.2.2.

Former Community Member
Hi, we have LiveCycle deployed on Websphere 6, from my windows workstation I am writing a java API to generate a pdf given a form design xdp file and sample xml data, I am calling this function

OutputResult outputDocument = outClient.generatePDFOutput(

TransformationFormat.PDF,

"test.xdp",

"\\sys2home\\wasadm\\Adobe",

outputOptions,

pdfOptions,

inXMData

);

it complains

Failed to load TemplateStream for FormQuery=test.xdp from location URI =\sys2home\wasadm\Adobe. in com.adobe.livecycle.formsservice.exception.RenderFormException

I don't know what the third parameter should be, the documentation says it should be A string value that specifies the content root where the form design is located.

but is this on my machine or on the server machine?

can someone help ??