Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Invisible Text Fields/Print Button error

Former Community Member
Ok, so I'm creating a blank form for users to input data fields and then print them out on a pre-made paper form. I started out using Adobe Designer 7.0.

While I was using 7.0, I made all of the Text Fields, and spent hours lining them up to print out correctly in their corresponding boxes on the pre-made paper form that we load into the printer. (Already tried scanning the form and creating a form that way, but the scanner is weird and scales everything incorrectly.)

I upgraded to Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES today so that I could make Text visible on the form, but not visible when it prints, so that I can label each Text Field, otherwise it's just a blank template with random Text Fields all over.

Well, after upgrading, I created the Texts prompts above each Text Field and I selected Visible (screen-only) for each one of them, hoping that once I printed the form out, those texts prompts won't print out on the pre-made paper form. But, to my dismay, they printed out even though I selected the option for them to NOT print out.

So I was doing some reading and decided to add a "print button" to my form. I added the print button. Made it visible (screen-only). Printed out another form, and BAM. All of the hours I spent lining up those Text Fields went to waste because all of a sudden my Text Fields are all over the paper. I immediately removed the print button, assuming that was the problem, but for some reason my text fields are still all over the paper.

I don't want to spend the hours and hours I spent lining them up again. It just took too long. Does anyone know what happened here? If so, how do I fix it?

Also, how do I make it so that the Text prompts I created do NOT print when I print out the form?

I'm sure this is all an easy fix for you experienced ones. I'm a noob... obviously...
4 Replies

Former Community Member
In Designer under the File/Form Properties bring up the compatibility tab. There is a Text Formatting option there that you can play with to see if it makes a difference. Also under the Defaults tab you must set your form to be 7.x compatible.

There was an issue with those print options in version 7 ....I believe that they were fixed in version 7.5 so that should fix one of your issues.....assuming the text fields do not move.

Former Community Member
Thank you for the help, but I'm still not really sure what I should be doing here. I went to form properties, but didn't see any kind of settings that would fix what I'm having problems with. I'm using Adobe Designer ES 8.2.1 now, but for some reason when I make my text Visible (screen-only), it still prints out when I click print. This shouldn't happen and I can't figure out what's wrong. I've reasearched all I can, but can not find a solution.

Former Community Member
Also, is there something I need to change so that my text fields line back up again? I really don't want to spend all that time re-alligning everything. Bah, but if I have to, then I will. I just really need to figure out how to add text that only shows up on the screen and not when printed. Selecting "Visible (Screen-Only)" doesn't seem to work.

Former Community Member
If it helps any... here is a link to my pdf file that I'm trying to make. Also, you'll notice how under my two drop down menu's, you'll see a lowercase "r" under both of them. I can't get rid of them and I can't figure out where they are. I even searched the XML source for every letter r and they arent in there for me to take out. Anyone know what's going on?