Expand my Community achievements bar.

Interactive Form Saving Problem

Former Community Member
Hi,

I'm just getting my feet wet with Adobe form designer. I thought I'd been doing a pretty good job until it came to my attention that the interactive form I created can not be saved by the person filling it out. Feel free to view it here: http://www.townofaberdeen.net/volunteer%20application.pdf

I did not realize this problem because my computer is set up with adobe professional(7.0), so when I view it on my computer I can save it as a copy.

I am using version 7.0 professional adobe designer to make the forms.

Is there ANY way that the average adobe viewer who has reader versions 6.0 and up and who do not have the benefit of Adobe professional can save their information that they input into the form, and then email the entire form to us with their entries? We had planned on using these forms for many applications around the fire department, but I need to be able to make them accessible to all users, so that they can save the information in the form to email back.

Thank you so much for your help!
10 Replies

Former Community Member
I believe you have to apply permissions to your form in Adobe Pro

Level 7
To apply the Extended Reader Rights you will need the Professional version 8. Version 7 can not do this.

Former Community Member
Thank you, I guess I'll look into an upgrade or something? Just to be clear/confirm, if we upgraded to 8.0, if I make the form, the user can fill out the form online with their data, and then Save the form and their data and email it to us?

Thank you!!

Former Community Member
Hi Kati, your form appears to work now. How did you solve the problem. Adobe professional 8?

Former Community Member
I am having the same problem. My form that has been creater in Acrobat 8 using form designer cannot be saved by the person filling it out and when it is emailed comes in as text, not the form. here is my form to look at: http://www.gfsignet.com/Doclinks/Signet_Service_Form.pdf

Help!

Level 7
You have to apply the "Extended Reader Rights". For a distribution of less than 500 you can use Acrobat 8 Professional or Acrobat 9 Professional. All others will need the LiveCycle Server.

Former Community Member
Even with extended reader rights, the form is coming back not in the form format, but as line text such as: <name> John Doe. Our service department who will be opening these documents has Acrobat Reader only. The distribution number you mentioned will be too low for us also. Where did you find the distribution number of 500? It is not in the Help section.

Level 7
You have create a custom 'Submit' button and specify optional information, parameters. See 'To insert a button and select the "Control Type" "Submit" and then complete the "Submit" tab that becomes visible on the 'Object' tab. More information is in the 'Scripting Reference' in LiveCycle Designer's help under 'Button properties in the Submit tab'.

Former Community Member
b To enable reader users to save your form:

Save a copy of your form using Acrobat, (this will remove usage rights). Then open this form in Acrobat and enable usage rights. Now when you open in reader you will be able to save form data.

Former Community Member
Hi All! I have a similar problem

I'd like to create a dynamic PDF filed with content made from template and then send it to my client via mail.

The problem is, that when a client tries to open the PDF it can't be opened because it can't locate the template from which it was created...

that makes sense but is it possible to send the PDF file so that my client can view it, save it to disk, print it and that it contains content in fields that I've prepared on my side?

I'd like to bypass the solution of having a template(form and xml data) stored on a server from which it would grab the required.

Is it possible to pack all that into one pdf file(form, xml) and send it?

I beg for a quick response!