Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

instanceManager Question

Former Community Member
Hi,

Wondered if anyone has run into this. Basically I am trying to programatically add instances of a repeating subform. The trick is I don't want the subform visible to begin with, (min count = 0). Apparently it is not as simple as:

Item.instanceManager.addInstance(1);

Which works when the min count = 1. Any ideas on how I can code to add instances to a repeating subform that starts out with a min count = 0?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ken
5 Replies

Level 5
try the following....

//Invoke the Instance Manager to add one instance of the detail subform.

_Item.addInstance(1);//where "Item" is the subform Name

//Invoke the recalculate method to include the field values from the added subform in calculations.

xfa.form.recalculate(1);

Former Community Member
SekharN,

Thanks for the timely reply.

What I seem to run into is that when the min count = 0 my efforts to refer to the subform "Item" within my code result in an error message indicating that "Item" isn't defined.

How do I refer to the subform initially?

Ken

Level 5
Unknown whether you selected "Repeat Subform for Each Data Item" under subform Binding tab. You can check that and leave "Min Count:, Max: and Initial Count:" unchecked. Then you will not run into such problem.<br />again the syntax for add instance is:<br />"_<subformname>.addInstace(1)" //"_" (Underscore) is a reference notation not part of the subform name.<br /><br />If you still can not over come the issue I can offer help at "meetsekharv AT yahoo.com"

Former Community Member
SekharN,

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest. Here is some additional info:

I reduced my test form to the bare essentials. I have one main subform called Main that contains a sub form called Sub1. Main is defined as flowed and Sub1 is positioned with "Repeat for all data" checked (This time I left the min, max, and initial counts unchecked.

I have one button for adding and instance located in Main. The code behind the button is exactly as follows:

var oSubform = this.resolveNode("Main.Sub1");

var oNewInstance = oSubform.instanceManager.addInstance(1);

xfa.form.recalculate(1);

This results in an error that indicates my subform reference has no properties. When I switch to min count = 1 the button adds a new instance of the subform, (but as you may recall my objective is to not have an initial instance of the subform visible or taking up room which is why I am attempting to do this without a min count = 1).

Using an "_" in front of the sub form name as follows:

_Sub1.instanceManager.addInstance(1);

xfa.form.recalculate(1);

I receive an error message that reads "General Error: Operation Failed".

If this is supposed to work could it be the version of LiveCycle Designer I am using?

Former Community Member
My appologies. I re-read your previous reply and double checked my code and realized that I had incorrectly used the _Sub1.instanceManager.addInstance(1);

rather then _Sub1.addInstance(1);

It seems to be working now.

Many thanks!