Expand my Community achievements bar.

HTTP Submit & FORM Post

Former Community Member
Where can I find an example of how to submit form data in a format used by HTML forms (URL-encoded Data - HTTP post)?

Im just learning Acrobat 7.xand Form designer 7.x and cant figure out how to attach code to the Submit HTTP button. A client has a generalized forms post decoder/foward as e-mail program. The url would be, for example:

http://www.ourwebsite.org/cgi-win/deField.exe method="POST"

and it needs the Acrobat form to have the hidden field:

femail=bobrast@comcast.net   (email address to send form info to)

What we really want to do is:

1.     Use an interactive Acrobat form to collect and validate data from users over the Internet (by querying a database) as they fill in the form

2.     Merge both user-entered data, and user-specific data pulled from the db, into the pdf form

3.     Returned the completed form to the user for printing at their location,

4.     And capture the full data into our database.

.Ive scoured the product literature and the dev user forums and seen some limited FAQs and advice but its pretty murky. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
4 Replies

Level 7
If it were an Acrobat form, you would simply define an input field

with this name (femail), the e-mail address as default value, and then

make it hidden.

I don't know if this is even possible with Designer forms, though if

it is, I'm sure someone will fill us in. HOWEVER, this will only

solve the first part. If you want to send data back to the form, the

web script will need to be written in a different way, and adapting

the PDF to fit this existing script doesn't have any point.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Thanks,

Tried that with the form as an Acrobat Form and as a Designer Form. Both times the server returns a PDF with ** hidden var femail not found ** ... Form some reason it refuses to see the hidden variable, which is visible both in the XML and in "variables" in Form Properties in Designer. In Acrobat, also tried creating a custom property named "femail" with the email as the value. Same result.

Level 7
Make sure the hidden variable is a field of type text, in Acrobat.

Even though it is invisible, the type matters.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
<bobrast1949@adobeforums.com> ha scritto nel messaggio <br />news:3bbe0f73.-1@webx.la2eafNXanI...<br />> Where can I find an example of how to submit form data in a format used by <br />> HTML forms (URL-encoded Data - HTTP post)?<br />> I'm just learning Acrobat 7.xand Form designer 7.x and can't figure out <br />> how to attach code to the Submit HTTP button. A client has a generalized <br />> forms post decoder/foward as e-mail program. The url would be, for <br />> example:<br />><br />> <a href=http://www.ourwebsite.org/cgi-win/deField.exe> method="POST"<br />><br />> and it needs the Acrobat form to have the hidden field:<br />><br />> femail=bobrast@comcast.net (email address to send form info to)<br />><br />><br />> What we really want to do is:<br />><br />> 1. Use an interactive Acrobat form to collect and validate data from <br />> users over the Internet (by querying a database) as they fill in the form <br />> .<br />> 2. Merge both user-entered data, and user-specific data pulled from the <br />> db, into the pdf form .<br />> 3. Returned the completed form to the user for printing at their <br />> location,<br />> 4. And capture the full data into our database.<br />><br />><br />><br />> .I've scoured the product literature and the dev user forums and seen some <br />> limited FAQs and advice but it's pretty murky. Any help will be greatly <br />> appreciated.<br /><br />Maybe I don't understand your question well and so my answer can be of no <br />help for you, but the first two points can be easily done with Designer and <br />a web service that send the data retrieved from a specific request (i.e. <br />your customer inserts his userid and automatically some data appears in the <br />form). You simply have to create a button that retrieves data from this <br />webservice (first you have to create a data connection to your webservice).<br />The third point can be achieved using a print button (that is ready to use <br />in the library). Remember that you can making all the operations you want to <br />do without re-loading the PDF, but simply by doing the call to your <br />webservice after the user filled in the form.<br />The forth point can be achieved using a submit botton that has the <br />controltype set to submit, then you can send your data in the format that <br />you choose. Of course, in the submit URL you can specify an email.<br /><br />Sorry if I don't understand your request :)<br /><br />Ciao,<br />Alessio<br /><br />Bye,<br />Alessio