Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

How to deal with spammers on forms

Level 1
Is there any way to defeat spammers who latch onto our forms and fill them out? One form developer I've used before has a "Captcha" feature that generates a random alphanumeric field that the form user has to re-create before he/she submits the form...but LiveCycle Designer doesn't appear to have this capability. Can anyone help? (Our forms are submitted via email.)

Thank you!
2 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

A bit late, but I was researching random numbers and Jono Moore put forward a function for the Universally Unique Identifier (UUID).

You could set up two textfields: captcha and userInput

the calculate event of captcha would have the following Formcalc:

var vUUID = Uuid(1)
     $ = Left(vUUID, 8) // returns a random alphanumeric 8-digit code

The user would be prompted to input that code into the userInput field which would have the following Javascript in the exit event:

if (this.rawValue = captcha.rawValue)

{

submitButton.presence = "visible";

}

else

{

submitButton.presence = "hidden";

}

The submitButton presence should be initially set up as invisible/hidden and you can shorten the code to less than 8-digits.

Hope that helps,

N.

Level 10

on reflection a better Javascript for the captcha object (calculate event) would be along the lines of:

chars = "abcdefghkmnpqrstuvwxyABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ23456789";

var sCaptcha = "";

for(x=0;x<6;x++)

{

i = Math.floor(Math.random() * 53);

sCaptcha += chars.charAt(i);

}

this.rawValue = sCaptcha

This way you can avoid having similar characters in the field (i, I, l, 0, O). Use a clear font and large font size.

N.