Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

How do I edit my original Word file?

Former Community Member
I created a form in Word, converted it to PDF, then added fields in LiveCycle. As I was testing the fields, I saw that I need to make a few changes to the original Word file. How can I do this? I don't want to lose all of my field definitions. I can't believe I would have to start over. And the documentation and forums don't address this problem with the same vocabulary that I'm using, so I can't find an answer. Help! and Thank You.
8 Replies

Former Community Member
Once you create the PDF from Word you cannot change anything on the boilerplate. You will have to go back to Word make your changes then create the PDF then re-import. You should be able to open the 1st one and copy and paste all objects from each page onto the new form ...then it is merely a case of lining things up.

Former Community Member
Paul - thank you. I hoped it would be something easy like that! My current form is relatively short, but I want to be able to fix things easily for my indecisive clients. Also: when searching for the information, I didn't use the word "boilerplate," so that is why I didn't find the answer I was looking for! Appreciate your help.

Former Community Member
If it is a simple form then when you import the PDF into Designer choose the option that creates native objects instead of an image of the PDF. Then you can change it in Designer instead.

Former Community Member
I will do. Thanks for the tip, and for responding so promptly.

Level 10
Actually, an easier way is to use the Edit->Replace Artwork command. This will replace the background PDF retaining the fields in place.

I've had a lot of issues with copying/pasting fields from document to document.

You can also tweak the PDF in Acrobat if you need to nudge things around - Pitstop works great for this on some forms I'm working on that I only have access to the PDF.

Former Community Member
I will try that. I was able to copy/paste in this form, though - it was a simple fill-in-the-blank type of order form. But it is good to have this solution for the future. Thanks, Jono.

Former Community Member
Does anyone know how to copy a pdf file to a word document in a way that copies, text and charts without altering the layout...and how to copy a pdf Image?

Former Community Member
In Acrobat there is a save as word doc under the File SaveAs menu.