Expand my Community achievements bar.

Help - Strings and User Input

Former Community Member
We are attempting to create a form that will mimic macros from word perfect. Is it possible to create a function that will prompt a user for input via a popup or alert box and then place the results into a string and display said string to a text box?

I have been able to display text to a textbox's rawvalue and to combine variables into a string, but have not be able to get the prompt feature to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Paul Washburn
4 Replies

Former Community Member
update - i was able to prompt the user using app.response feature described in a previous thread.

Could you please tell me if it is possible to create a dynamic string as the user types to that when a function is activated it will add text to an existing text field instead of overwriting whatever is currently in that field.

Thank you

Former Community Member
Paul,

You can set up the dynamic field to have a calculate event that would have the following javascript code:

This.rawValue = This.rawValue + additionalField1.rawValue;

This will append the value of whatever is being entered in the additionalField to whatever is already in your dynamic string field.

Former Community Member
Thank you for your suggestion

I created a variable and assigned the fields current value to that variable, then added to the variable to the output. I threw in an if variable == null statement to fix the variable printing null.

ie.

var CurrentValue

if (TextField1.rawValue == null)

CurrentValue = "";

else

CurrentValue = Textfield1.rawValue;

Former Community Member
A better technique would be to use an app.response (like a javascript response) where you can control what the user sees then getting that result and appending it to the desired field.

It would look something like this:

var myVar = app.response("Enter in some text: ", "This is the Title of the box.", "Default answer", false, "This is the label");

this.rawValue = this.rawValue + myVar

The true/false value in th e2nd last parameter indicates whether you want **** to appear instead of what is typed (like a password).

Let me know if you find this better.