Expand my Community achievements bar.

Have Servlet Handling LiveCycle Form Submit - How to Respond to User

Former Community Member
I have a Java servlet that handles a LiveCycle Form submit. I take the XML Data that is sent, make a call to the LiveCycle Form Server to regenerate the Form with the updated data, then I write that updated bytestream to the database. Then I need to let the user know if I succeeded in updating...

How can I do this? I would love to write an HTML message out to the Response object and have it pop up in the browser, but this won't work from the standalone reader. (works pretty well from reader embedded in browser, except doesn't popup a new window -- user has to click back button to return to form)

Would be great to then, perhaps, have an alert box pop up in reader with a message from the servlet, but can't see anyway to make that happen. I suppose I could generate a new form with the message and write that back, but seems like overkill.

Any ideas? Seems like there would be some standard way for Adobe Reader to let the user know a submission to a server actually did something.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

John
1 Reply

Former Community Member
Hi John:

How about returning a precanned PDF? It handles well by reader/acrobat in and out of browser.

Thanks

David

www.ensemble.com