Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Formdata/Urlencoded issues causing form data not to work with Reader 7

Former Community Member
Hello there,

I recently used a trial version of Adobe LiveCycle Designer 8 (specifically 8.05.2073.1.374024) to design a form that had a button with a Submit action and a URL-Encoded format for the data. It works fine if the user is using Adobe Reader 8 to fill in and submit the form to an ASP page, but if the user has Reader 7, they are able to fill in the form, but when it submits, the ASP page displays none of the data.

After doing some research, I found this thread:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bbf834d?14

Which seems to indicate there was a switch in the format attribute between Livecycle Designer 7 and 8, from using a "formdata" attribute to using a "urlencoded" attribute. SteveX, an Adobe employee, even says that formdata isn't a valid value, though it is what Livecycle Designer 7 uses. If you switch the code to use the "urlencoded" attribute, it will work.

But my form is using the "urlencoded" attribute and when the form is opened in Reader 7, the user gets an error message saying "Invalid enumerated value: urlencoded."

Is there anything I can do to get this form to work both with Reader 7 and Reader 8? Or is this a change in Adobe's code where the only solution is that the end-user needs to be using the latest version of Adobe Reader?
0 Replies