Expand my Community achievements bar.

Form with subforms for required fields

Former Community Member
Hello. I just started using Adobe LiveCycle Designer 7.0. I have a form that needs to be filled out by 6 different people. Person 1 fills in his section and emails to Person 2. Person 2 puts in their information and emails to person 3 and so on. Each section has some required fields and some optional.

I can't figure out how to "break up" the form so only their respective section's required fields are on. After Person 1 is done, then Person 2's next section would be "active" and so on. By saying "active", I mean that only that part of the form would turn on the required fields, calculations or whatever else is in their section. This form needs to go to six different people (in a particular order. Each person is only responsibile to fill in their own section and bases their answers on the prior person's response.

Right now, Person 1 has to fill out the entire form because of all the required fields.

Help!
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Well, really the best way would be to use a server side component (like LC Workflow) to manage the steps in the process.

But assuming that's not an option, what you'll need to do is start with all fields as not mandatory and use script to dynamically make the appropriate fields mandatory depending on where in the process you are.

You could do something like having a hidden field in the form that stores info about what step the form is at. A script runs when the form loads and sets the appropriate fields to mandatory based on the value of the hidden field. You may also want to set fields from previous steps to read only. Then when the button to submit by email is clicked you would also change the value in the hidden field to indicate that next time it's opened it will be in the next state.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

First, thanks so much for responding. I really appreciate that. Now...seeing I'm a newbie...is there a tutorial on how to do all of this? Help! :)

Former Community Member
Well, there's no tutuorial that details how to do all the logic you'll want, it's too specific for your case. There's a sample here that deals with setting fields as required at runtime that should help you get a start: http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/livecycle/designer/index_samples.html

Also, if you haven't downloaded the XML Form Object Model Reference then you shoudl get it from here: http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/livecycle/designer/devcenter.html

Chris

Adobe Enteprise Developer Support