Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

form making on designer 8, can a selection of one field fill out another?

Former Community Member
Hello, I don't know if anyone can answer my question, or if I can even ask it clearly...so here goes:

I was wondering if there were fields or a way to write fields, where if I selected something in one, it would automatically fill out the other field.

I do inventory control at a warehouse and am trying to write a form that someone can fill out to make labels for our products. I was hoping I could write it so they can select one of our item numbers from a number field and the item's description could appear below it, without having to write out the description.

Please forgive me if a question like mine has already been answered. I've tried looking for several days before even bothering anyone with a newbie question, but I'm not even sure how to ask the question, let alone look for it! But any help would be greatly appreciated!
2 Replies

Former Community Member
Please have a look at your installation folder of the designer (or look at the Software-CD Rom). There you find some form-examples. In one of those forms (as i remember it correctly the name must be purchase order) you find such a situation! There you can chose a number and depending on this number you get a Text in another field. Than have a look at the XML-Code of this form and do it so in your form!

If you can´t finde the form, you can send me an email an i will sent you an example of how to do that! (th4000@freenet.de)

Former Community Member
Hello, Everyone,

thanks to Misa for the question, I myself have just emailed a similar one to Mike Potter. Achim, I also checked out the Purchase Order sample form and I can say I now understand how the selection from a drop-down list automates the filling of another field. Misa's question was, however, as I understood, how the automation works if the input field is not a drop-down list, but a text or numeric field. I undestand that this, too, needs to contain an array of data, but in Misa's example (ant that's my problem, too) the array of input data may be too large to be contained in a drop down list.

Thanx in advance:

Martin