I am a newbie and have just started using Flex. I have a little XML that I created from PHP in the following:
I used HTTPService provided by Flex to extract the data, and I seem to have no issues extracting the first two columns. However, When I got to the instructor_name, the datagrid gives me this on the screen produced by the HTML: [object] [Object].
This is what I have in my Flex to extract this particular element:
Hmm.. I'm a newbie too, but looking at your XML, it seems the <instructor_name> has no direct data, instead it has two child nodes first_name and last_name. Seems you should calling a function that accepts an object, passing it the <Instructor_name> object, and in that function concatenating the children data.
Check out the help section "Using item renderers with the AdvancedDataGrid control", create and assign a renderer for your <instructor_name> column, and concatenate the two name fields inside of the renderer function.
Again, I'm a newbie myself, and I have not tried the suggestion above, but I hope it points you toward a solution.