Expand my Community achievements bar.

Export / Import data as FDF

Former Community Member
Hi !

I will create an form with Designer, and import data for printing.

More accurately :

We have a referential of economic operators and their relations with our administration. Each relation is defined by its data and we construct automaticaly XSD schemas that generic api respect. We can also generate XSLT file that transforms XML file obtained by the api in an XML-FO file, for standard printing. That functions work fine.

But for some relations, we must also obtain printing in "official" form, unpredictable in generic manner.

Thus we explore a new method :

-design the form by Adobe Designer, with conventions about fields names (that names will be calculate in accordance with actual data names)

-transform the XML file obtained by the api in format X

-create a PDF document based on the form and import the precedent file.

-print.

But any problems !

I just know :

-Designer can build (complex) forms (despite Designer 7 bugs)

-the IAC API includes importAnFDF (I use VB.NET, but other tools like Java are possible).

X = FDF : why not ?

Unfortunately, when I open in Acrobat (Pro 7) the form I designed, import or export of data is not possible in FDF format (xml, xdp, txt are proposed).

My questions :

-is that general idea pertinent ?

-what are the other methods pertinent ?

-what choices in Designer are required for FDF import/ export ?

With my thanks, and my apology for my english.

M.DUVIVIER
2 Replies

Level 7
If you want to work with FDF, simply create an Acroform using the

forms tools in Acrobat rather than Designer. There is absolutely no

way to use FDF with a Designer form.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Thanks, Aandi.<br />False tracks are also interesting !<br />I don't use FDF absolutely. Simply, I see a programmatic interface "importAnFDF" (IAC, JSObject), and try that track.<br />In reality, I prefer a XML solution.<br />I know also : <br />I create my form with Designer (7.0). I open it in Acrobat Pro (7.0).<br />I fill some fields. I export data in a XMF file. I modify it (values, more occurrences of data group...), and re-import by Acrobat's interface (File/ Data import...). <br />The fields are conform with the new values. All is perfect !<br />(Except that the schema of XML file is strange : some data groups are encapsuled, like <ligne3><field1>value11</field1>...</ligne3><ligne3><field1>value12..., and other groups no, like <field1>value11</field1>...<field1>value12...)<br />But I search a programmatic solution.<br />I need also a mean for creating scratch PDF conform with my form, for filling and printing.<br />I see yesterday a other topic on that subject : "Populate PDF form with XML data", by Garth Howard (04/12/2005).<br />I'll explore that track. Actually, I don't undestand the need for precise the data connexion of each field in Designer, by mean of a XML file sample.<br />Thanks for your help.<br />Michel