Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Embed Fonts savinf a form (pdf)

Level 6
Hi,

Can someone tell me what is the difference from saving a form with or withour embed forms selected?

Without embed fonts selected, the form get smaller, what it is better, but what is the disadvantage?

Thank you
8 Replies

Former Community Member
The disadvantage to not embedding fonts is that if someone opens your PDF and does not have the fonts you use already installed on their system then the PDF they see will not be shown using the fonts you've selected.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Level 6
Hi Chris,

When acrobat renders the pdf where it will get the fonts? And where livecycle will get the fonts too?

I need this so I can distribute all the necessary fonts.

Thank you

Former Community Member
Acrobat will find the fonts if they are there on the system, it's OS specific where "there" is. Windows would be in the fonts directory under windows.

However, if you are using fonts that would not typically be installed on a user's system I'd recommend embedding them in the PDF. It can save a lot of headaches.

Chris

Former Community Member
Will LiveCycle Designer 7.0 be able to use the embedded fonts as well? If so, how do I utilize the embedded fonts?

Former Community Member
Chris - for a PDF form that will be viewed by users in a browser, would Adobe PDF "native" fonts (e.g., Myriad Pro, Courier Std) still need to be embedded, or are they part of Reader "font library" and therefore automatically recogninzed. (Myriad Pro and Courier Std are not found in my Windows/Fonts directory)

Former Community Member
I don't believe so for Myriad Pro. I'd have to look into it to be 100% sure, but off the top of my head I believe that if you only have Reader installed the only fonts guaranteed are the ones mentioned in the PDF spec. I don't have the full list, but it's the really standard ones like Arial and Times.

Chris

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

I know this is a dead discussion but I am having many problems with embedding. Basically (1), after saving as Dynamic PDF with fonts embedded and with permanently replace all fonts I still get weird replacements when the file is opened in Reader. Then (2), when I tried to replace all the substitutions with Arial and Times and NOT embed the PDF still shows some embedded fonts (Myriad, Franklin) when opened in Reader in doc properties. This seems Very buggy?! Is there any known issue and/or workaround. Thanks!

-Nissan

Former Community Member
Hi Chris,

Is it also possible to embed fonts used on a fillable text field?

If so how? because I have my embed form checkmarked but when I open the PDF at my clients computer, the font changes since he does not have the font on his system.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

Norbert