Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.

Editing forms

Former Community Member
Hi,

I just started using Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro and one curious thing is that After creating a new form from a file (html) when I select Edit the form in Acrobat it doesn't open LiveCycle to edit the form.

My co-worker has the same version I do and when she select to edit a form it opens the form in LiveCycle.

Is there a way to automate the transfer of the editable form to LiveCycle like she has on her computer?

I am not sure if this is a preference I need to set or not.

FayeC
5 Replies

Level 7
I think that when you convert from HTML, it makes an Acrobat form, NOT

a LiveCycle form, so it is correct to edit it in Acrobat. If, on the

other hand, you convert a Word document, you get a LiveCycle form.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
In fact there are two ways of importing an html file into Acrobat and each way will result in a different form.

If I use the Create PDF -> From file wizard it creates an Acrobat form. If I use the Forms -> Create New Form wizard it creates a LiveCycle form which allows me to edit the entire form BUT it doesn't allow me to add simple actions to the fields OR enable usage rights in Acrobat Reader.

I am quite confused by the fact that if I create an Acrobat form I can't just switch it to designer or vice-versa and each program has different functionality which makes it counter-intuitive.

Can I add the simple functions from Acrobat in Designer? Can I enable rights in Reader in Designer?

It seems to me that I have to choose early on which route to take (Acrobat or Designer) and after I do there's no turning back to add specific functions available on the other.

Any insight is appreciated.

FayeC

Level 7
>I am quite confused by the fact that if I create an Acrobat form I can't just switch it to designer

This IS confusing, but it's very important to realise that these

aren't just two different programs. They are two different kinds of

form, different in almost every way.

You need to decide which to use, and stick to it, because you cannot

switch between them. Both Acrobat and Designer forms each have

strengths and weaknesses.

>Can I add the simple functions from Acrobat in Designer?

You have to use LiveCycle Designer functions. It has its own

JavaScript language.

>Can I enable rights in Reader in Designer?

This particular thing, so far as I know, you can still do in Acrobat -

can't you?

>It seems to me ... no going back ...

Yes, you're absolutely right.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
How can I create a auto fill counter on a web access form? We want to put a P.O. form on the web. Each time a user access the form, it should automatic generate a unique number for P.O. number. Can this be done on acrobat form?

Level 7
Probably, but you will need to provide a web based data base to keep track of the counter.