Expand my Community achievements bar.

Editing an invisible subform

Level 4
I've created a form that displays a different subForm depending on which radio button (3 choices) the user selected. These 3 subForms all share the same physical space on the form. It works perfectly!

My problem is now that I have these three invisible subForms, I cannot access them to make changes to them. I can select the subForm and even the object with the hierarchy view but when I try and click on the object in the layout to change it, I end up with the object/subForm layered on top of it. I've even tried making them all visible without any luck.

Does anyone have any 'tricks' to get around this? Is there an easier way of designing it so I don't have this problem?
6 Replies

Former Community Member
Bet,

You can set up your subforms in such a way that in design mode, you don't need to have your subforms overlapped in order to share the same physical space at run time (or in preview mode).

Level 4
Do you mean selecting Position Content instead of Flow Content?

Another question please:

I often find after I create a subform its properties are 'grayed out'. For instance I created a subform by right-clicking a text field in the Hierarchy list and selecting "Wrap in subform". Now when I click on the subform object properties, the 'Allow Page Breaks within Content', all three fields under 'Place:' and 'After:' are not available. What causes this? Did I do something wrong or did I just miss something?

Thanks again.

Former Community Member
>>>Do you mean selecting Position Content instead of Flow Content?

I think I had an example that I posted in the past that has similar subform setup. Click
here to see the example.

>>>>I often find after I create a subform its properties are 'grayed out'......

This is because the parent subform is a "position content" subform.

When you have a subform that is a child subform of a "postion content", the properties that you mentioned above are not relevant to that child subform.

Level 4
Hi jimmypham. Woo hoo! I think I am finally beginning to understand what you are telling me -- does this mean I'm ready to advance from pre-junior kindergarten level to JK! All kidding aside... as a relative newbie to Designer I certainly appreciate the time and knowledge you and the other mentors provide. Adobe should also appreciate your effort too -- without your help, this product wouldn't survive. Their online help is overwhelming for a newbie, and too difficult to find information when you don't know the terminology, and even if you accidentally get to the right topic, it is too difficult to follow. If I only had F1 to rely on I'd be dumping this software.

Honestly... I did look at, and tried to use, the example you provided us on HongWei.pdf before. Unfortunately, when the flow content is chosen on the parent subForm it automatically takes all the fields and places them on after another vertically (just like it's supposed to). Even changing the flow direction from 'Bottom to Top' to 'Western Text' didn't help as the layout of my form doesn't render itself to either of these flows. It would be great to have a third flow type option -- 'Custom'. Can I add this to my Designer wish list?

My document is a legal sized form organized into numerous groups of related fields with lots of boilerplate objects to make it more functional and easier for the user to follow. Alas, there isn't enough space to have my subForms 'flow' too. So I guess I'm outa luck on this one huh?

Thanks for your help anyway.

Former Community Member
>>>>It would be great to have a third flow type option -- 'Custom'. Can I add this to my Designer wish list?

I think what you wish is a concept of layer in Designer GUI. That way, you can have your subforms overlapped and still be able to work with them individually similar to what you can do with layers in Photoshop.

>>>>My problem is now that I have these three invisible subForms, I cannot access them to make changes to them. I can select the subForm and even the object with the hierarchy view but when I try and click on the object in the layout to change it, I end up with the object/subForm layered on top of it. I've even tried making them all visible without any luck.

If space does not allow you to do that, I suggest you to try the following for your overlapped subforms. When a subform is selected from the hierrachy, go to the Body Page and right click on that subform, on the popup menu, there is an option call "Bring to Front" and "Send to Back". Try to "Bring to Front" your selected subform. This way, you can start select and work on the objects that contains in that subform.

Good luck.

Former Community Member
I am trying to set up a form that includes a section similar to Bet's. Based on the user selection from a dropdown (1-10) for example, the subform would be visible that relates to the dropdown. For example, Q. How many children do you have? If 5 is selected I want 5 fill-ins to be visible; 1 for each child's name. Any suggestions or scripting I can "borrow"? Thanks in advance.