Expand my Community achievements bar.

DataConnection issues

Former Community Member
Hello everyone,

I've recently delved into Adobe LC Designer ES in order to utilize the DataConnection feature. I have successfully created my DataConnection along with buttons that will cycle through the records housed in the sheet I'm referencing without much of an issue, however I need other PCs to be able to access the same data as well.

The FormCalc code I'm using for the buttons "on Click" is:

xfa.sourceSet.DataConnection.previous()

xfa.sourceSet.DataConnection.next()

etc...

These buttons work just fine as long as I'm accessing the form from the computer with the SQLExpress server and Designer, however once I send the PDF or access it over the network users can no longer use the buttons.

Am I overstepping the functionality of LC Designer or am I missing something even more basic like a SQL app on the client PC to connect to the SQL database that I'm referencing, or does that computer need Designer as well? I know almost nothing about SQL, so it's a miracle that I've even gotten this far. :(

Thanks for any help that you can give!
4 Replies

Former Community Member
have you checked your SQL server accessible from network PCs without any error?

I've used DataConnection based on SQL which works fine on network.

Former Community Member
Also you will need to create a DSN on each of the machines that will access the database.

Former Community Member
Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead and created the DSN on another PC (and learned that it has to be named exactly the same!), however I found that my main issue was that the PC's only had Adobe Reader and not Pro. So after downloading the trial I was able to get it working without a problem.

Thanks again!

Former Community Member
You can Reader Extend the form to allow Reader to do data connections for you. If you are interested you will want to look at LiveCycle Reader Extensions.