Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

createPDF2 timeout (PDF to PDF)

Level 3
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to assemble a list of documents into a single PDF. Therefore I'm using the the invokeDDX operation of the Assembler service and the createPDF2 operation to convert the documents to PDF. Unfortunately the list also contains PDF documents and the createPDF2 operation runs into a timeout.

Since the PDF documents have different versions I want to convert them to PDF 1.5. As far as I know the CreatePDF2 is the only operation where I can choose the target version using the "Adobe PDF settings" parameter.

I'm using Adobe LiveCycle ES update 1 with Acrobat Distiller 9 and Acrobat 9 Pro Extended.

The log file contains just the Message "ALC-PDG-010-010-The conversion has timed out" with the stack trace.

Thanks in advance

Michael
3 Replies

Former Community Member
You can set a transaction timeout in the properties of the process you are calling. To get at the properties, look at the Process view in the workbench. Locate your process and right click on it. Choose process properties (the last entry). A separate dialog will appear. Click on the Advanced tab and mid screen there is a Timeout section. It is set to default (which is 270 secs I believe). You can activate your own value below that one.

Former Community Member
I believe you can use the getDocContentType XPath function to figure out which documents in the list are already PDFs. If sending a PDF to the createPDF2 operation is causing problems, you can test each document in the list with getDocContentType, and if it's not a PDF, add it to a new list that you can feed to CreatePDF2.

Make sense?

Level 3
Hi Paul, hi Scott!

Thanks for your input.

@Paul: The timeout is set to 270 seconds and I can not believe that converting a one page PDF file from eg. PDF 1.5 to PDF 1.4 takes so much time. All the other file types finish in a few seconds.

@Scott: Since the documents are email attachments the content type of the PDF is application/octet-stream but I can use the extension .pdf to determine. So how can I convert an existing PDF into an other PDF version? The createPDF operation of the former 8.0 version was able to do so.

kind regards

Michael