Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Calculating Days

Former Community Member
I have an end date and a start date. How do I get my form to calculate a total number of days by subtracting my start date from my end date.
12 Replies

Former Community Member
if you're using javascript:

>var oStart = new Date(DateTimeField1.formattedValue);

>var oEnd = new Date(DateTimeField2.formattedValue);

>this.rawValue = oEnd.getDate() - oStart.getDate();

paste the script into the calculate event of a text field to see it in action...

Former Community Member
Hi. I used this script to calculate the difference between the dates(one is to be filled in by the user and the other is today's date). I must be doing something wrong because it will only calculate correctly for the next 4 days (until the end of the month).

For example when I choose Feb. 28, 2009 it calculates it correctly as 4 days but when I choose March 1, 2009 it calculates that as -23. Clearly there are not negative 23 days between Feb. 24 2009 and March 1 2009. What am I doing wrong? Thank you!

Former Community Member
That script will not calculate the difference between to dates. If you post your email address I will send you a couple of date arithmetic samples that will show you how to deal with this.

Former Community Member
My email is bdowney@materialogic.com

Thank you very much!

Level 7
Paul - Can you please send me a copy

aditya.shah@gsinc.com

Thanks !

Level 2

Hi Paul. Would you please send me your document? Thanks! michael.murphy3@usdoj.gov

Former Community Member

I assume that Steve's sample will do the trick for you.....if not let me know and I will post mine.

Paul

Level 2

Thank you Steve, and thanks for the follow up Paul! I was looking for a Javascript solution since we decided to standardize on Javascript a while ago. I

googled around and found something similar to the following:

if

(!tripDateFrom.isNull && !tripDateTo.isNull)

{

var dateString, dateSplit, dateParse;

dateString

= tripDateFrom.rawValue;

dateSplit       = dateString.split("-");

dateParse     = dateSplit[0] + "/" + dateSplit[1] + "/" + dateSplit[2];

var FromDate = Date.parse(dateParse);

dateString     = tripDateTo.rawValue;

dateSplit       = dateString.split("-");

dateParse     = dateSplit[0] + "/" + dateSplit[1] + "/" + dateSplit[2];

var ToDate     = Date.parse(dateParse);

this.rawValue = Math.round((ToDate.valueOf()-FromDate.valueOf())/(1000*60*60*24));

if (ToDate.valueOf() <= FromDate.valueOf())

{

xfa.host.messageBox("Your Trip Date From must occur before your Trip Date To.", "Date Error", 0, 0);

this.rawValue = 0;

}

}

This seems to work, even with month and year changes. I was hoping to replace a few statements in there with the String.split() method, but haven't tried yet. If you guys strongly recommend FormCalc, I'm happy to break our rule.

Former Community Member

Dealing with Dates is the only time that I use FormCalc (it is much easier).

Paul