Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Autoname based on field

Former Community Member
Hello,

I am quite new to Livecycle and am ripping my hair out trying to figure out how to do the following:

I need to have a button within my PDF form that will do the following in order:

1. Save the file to a specific location with a filename thats auto-generated based on a fields content within the form

2. Email a "notification" to a specific email address with the same message everytime.

3. Print the form

Am I wasting my time with this, or is Livecycle capable of doing it?

I have all these functions working seperately with the exception of the autonaming.
3 Replies

Former Community Member
Firstly autosaving (meaning saving programatically) is a no no. This is against the security model (the user has no idea that this is goinng on). You can have the use click a button and choose the file name to save. Email the notification is not an issue except that the autoamtion can create the email message but the user has to hit th esend button in th eemail client (again security concerns around email spamming are restricting you to fully automate this). Printing the form can be done without intervention.

Former Community Member
Paul thank you for your response. I think you may have missunderstood my intention when i said "auto save"

I am looking to toggle the app.execMenuItem("SaveAs") function. However I would like to generate a filename automatically based on a filled out field within the document.

For example if I have a field within the document called "CaseNumber" and the user fills out the field with "1234", when they hit the button it will popup the save as dialogue but generate the filename "1234.pdf" and location "c:\pdf" (or something similar) so all the user has to do is hit save.

I can get the save as function to work but dont know how to get the filename to generate from the field

Former Community Member
I don't think you can effect the fieldname ...the user will have to choose it.