Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Auto generate XDP

Former Community Member
Hello,

Is there a way I can programatically generate an XDP from a PDF using livecycle or any other tool? I have looked at the XPAAJ library but was VERY disappointed with the XDP file it exports. Not only is it all encoded in a binary "chunk", but it doens't even load in lifecycle.

I essentially want to convert my PDF to readable XDP, identical to what happens when you use "Save as XDP" in lifecycle designer. The only problem is that I need to do this automatically, without manually opening livecycle etc.

Thanks for any help,

Evan
11 Replies

Former Community Member
LiveCycle Forms can do this if it's an XFA PDF (Designed in Designer)... if it's an AcroForm PDF (Designed in Acrobat) then LiveCycle Forms can grab data in XDP format from it, but not the template DOM (the section where the form design is described). The only way to convert an AcroFrom PDF to an XDP would be to import it into Designer.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Thanks for the reply Chris. Is there any plan to externalize the logic that designer uses to decompile a AcroForm pdf into template XDP for public consumption (or with a designer license)? I would find tremendous value in such a feature, and the code is already written.

Thanks so much,

Evan Worley

Former Community Member
Not sure Evan, that would be a decision for Product Management. I suppose if enough people asked for it it would be possible.

Chris

Former Community Member
FYI, in the Designer install directory you'll find ConvertPDF.exe. This is the process that Designer kicks off to convert an AcroFrom to a PDF. There doesn't seem to be any legal reasons why you couldn't write a script that uses this to do batch conversions. Maybe that will help you.

Chris

Former Community Member
Excellent!

Thanks so much for the information. I am however having issues running the application.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Designer 7.1>ConvertPDF in=form.pdf out=form.xdp

8/22/06 10:23:37 : Conversion started.

8/22/06 10:23:37 : Conversion Options used : in=f1040.pdf out=f1040.xdp

8/22/06 10:23:37 : Page1 : Path Element's fill color is made hidden because show

ing it might cause problem.

8/22/06 10:23:37 : Page1 : Path Element's fill color is made hidden because show

The file is damaged and could not be repaired. Please print a new version to Ado

be PDF printer and re-attempt the import process. Adobe PDF Library error: 10747

90402 (Incorrect PDEObject type.)8/22/06 10:23:38 : Page1 : Conversion aborted d

ue to error.

Any ideas?

Evan

Former Community Member
How to pass input and output file name into ConvertPDF.exe for batch process

Former Community Member
My example shows how to pass input and output

ConvertPDF in=form.pdf out=form.xdp

Former Community Member
Evan,Thanks lot

I want to convert Jetform IFD files to PDF thro batch process.

I used ConvertIFD.exe in="Sample.IFD" out ="Sample.XDP" and got my XDP file But i need PDF format.. I don't know that how to convert XDP to PDF.

I have tried ConvertIFD.exe in="Sample.IFD" out ="Sample.PDF" ..No luck

Any idea..

Thanks,

Palani

Former Community Member
I am not sure what tool can batch convert a XDP to PDF. Hopefully a representative will reply. You can manually import a XDP in designer and save as PDF.

Good luck,

Evan

Former Community Member
I have arround 10000 files so very hard to open and save as..Do u have any idea abt command line parameter for FormDesigner.exe.

Thanks,

Palani

Former Community Member
My company, Viga Technologies, has recently developed an object which converts XDPs to PDFs automatically. It can be deployed as a server side object to be incorporated into existing applications or it can be run as a service by us on a per-form basis. The input is the template (.xdp) as well as the XML data that you wish to populate the form with. It is extremely fast and generates PDFs 60-70 percent smaller than PDFs generated by Adobe Designer. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Adam Wachtel

Viga Technologies (http://www.vigatech.com)

awachtel@vigatech.com

(678)371-4401