Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attaching a filled out form

Former Community Member
Hello

How can I attach a filled out form to an email? Currently my email button attaches the form as an XML. The end user needs to file the filled out form to a file but in it current XML format does not make it user friendly reading as if it was in the pdf format.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,

Keith.
9 Replies

Level 7
>How can I attach a filled out form to an email? Currently my email button attaches the form as an XML.

You can import the XML back into the original form using Acrobat.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Is there information that you can point me to so that I can learn how to do this? Would this import be automatic or manual?

Level 7
Save the attachment to disk.

Open Acrobat. open the PDF.

Forms > Manage form data > Import Data.

This is the normal way of working. Keeping a collection of XML files

together is recommended. XML files are much more useful in the long

term, as it's much easier to write software to analyse the form data.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
Thanks, What is the reason behind the fact that I can not send a copy of the form as a pdf attachement? I need to justify this new procedure that you indicated.

Keith.

Level 7
> What is the reason behind the fact that I can not send a copy of the form as a pdf attachement?

Adobe limit the functionality of the free Adobe Reader to increase

revenue. Read enabling can overcome this.

But millions of people can't send mail from their mail client. Mail is

really a toy for testing, not the final solution. For that, an

experienced web programmer creates an ASP, CGI or PHP.

Aandi Inston

Former Community Member
You can also send the entire PDF. Here are the steps:

- Open the Form in Designer

- Add a button object to the form

- Update the caption to something like 'submit the form' or 'email the form'

- Change the Control type of the button to Submit

- Click on the Submit tab and choose PDF for the 'Submit as' type

- update the submit URL to mailto:bla@bla.com

*Please note that the user submitting the form will need Acrobat (or) you can Reader Enable the form if the user only has Reader. This is required since Reader can't save PDF by default.

Usage rights can be added using LiveCycle Reader Extensions (or) you can add usage rights in Acrobat (advanced > Enable usage rights in Adobe Reader). *Please note that if you use Acrobat to Reader enable the form, there is a licensing restriction on the number of users that the form can be sent to.

_Seth

Former Community Member
When I run the form nothing happens when the button is clicked. I am thinking that off my desktop it does not recognize the mailto:bla@bla.com command.

Could that be true or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Keith

Former Community Member
Thanks for the assistance and information. I am going to run with your idea, probe a little more on my side, and decide what is the best approach given the limitations on my IT end.

Best regards,

Keith.

Former Community Member
Hi Keith,

Here is a sample file:

http://livecycleapps.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/basicemailsubmit_readerenabled.pdf

This file was created in LiveCycle Designer using the steps above and usage rights were applied in Acrobat Pro.