Expand my Community achievements bar.

addinstance to middle of table in javascript

Former Community Member
I am trying to insert a new row into the middle of a table in javascript. Adding to the end of the table is easy, but I can't seem to figure out the syntax for inserting into the middle. I'm spent hours trying to come up with something.

Since adding to the end of the table is:

Table1._detail.addinstance(1)

It would be nice if I could using something like:

Table1.detail[5].addinstance(1)

thanks,
2 Replies

Former Community Member
That syntax is correct but if you are trying to add to the middle of the table then detail[5] probably already exisits.

What if you added a new row to the end of the table then used the moveInstance method to reposition it where you want. It is documented on the scripting reference.

Level 1

I've been looking around for a solution myself, and have combined a few different methods and managed to work it out using a form variable and insertInstance() to insert a table row above the table row with current focus. I chose this method as I only wanted the one button on the form due to space limitations instead on having a button on each row, like with the 'Delete' row example on the Purchase Order sample.

Step 1 - Create a form Variable {File:Form Properties:Variables}, lets say 'nIndex' and assign it any number.

Step 2 - I added the following Javascript to the first row/ first column of my table on the 'Enter' event:

var xxx = this.parent.index;

nIndex.value = String(xxx);

If necessary this could be repeated for each row in the table.

Step 3 - I added a button to the form, basically anywhere will do, called lets say 'Insert Above' with the following Javascript on 'Click' event:

{table_name}._{row_name}.insertInstance(nIndex.value);

The '_' following the first period(.) is required.

Information:

I am using my form to document User Acceptance Test Script steps and needed the capability for the user to insert new steps as the script is being developed.

I also have another button 'Add Steps' which uses addInstance() to allow the user add rows to the bottom of the table for new steps.

NB: The same logic works for removeInstance to delete the row in the table with current focus.