Adding Control Number to Form

29-12-2008

I am new to LiveCycle Designer. Is there anyway to add a control number to forms? I would like to have it so that when the form is submitted, the form number will increase by one. Any suggestions?

Replies

27-01-2009

Paul, how can I include milliseconds into my script above?

Can you help me with this addition please?

Thanks

pguerett

pguerett

pguerett

27-01-2009

It does it by default. simply use the FormCalc command like this:

FieldName.rawValue = time()

30-01-2009

Paul, there is any way to freeze the field text with the unique number, so any time we reopen the form, the number will remain the same?

Thanks

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

02-02-2009

You can also use a UUID (Universally Unique Identifier)

Formcalc:

$.rawValue = Uuid(1)

Which results in a string like this:

340e4465-559a-4fbd-bac2-455a7ac85248

I've just been playing around with this function recently but the resulting string is rather unwieldy. I like the idea of using Time(), it gives an easier-to-deal-with number as a result - thanks Paul!

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

02-02-2009

[subscribing to thread]

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

02-02-2009

Actually, I noticed that Time() really only returns the number of milliseconds in the current day so I tried:

$ = Date() * 86400 + Time()

To get the actual milliseconds since epoch (86400 milliseconds in a day).

But that didn't work out quite right (math isn't my best attribute ;).

Any ideas?

Niall_O_Donovan

Niall_O_Donovan

Niall_O_Donovan

02-02-2009

Hi Jono,

86400000 (8.64e+007) milliseconds in a 24 hour period. Using your script you end up with a 13 digit reference.

Niall

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

02-02-2009

Thanks Niall, forgot those pesky zeroes...

Still not working correctly though - how would I combine time() and date() to get the proper number of milliseconds? Even with the correct number of zeroes it isn't working correctly.

Niall_O_Donovan

Niall_O_Donovan

Niall_O_Donovan

02-02-2009

hmmm,

Seems to work here...

$ = Date() * 84600000 + Time()

I tried it longhand as well and got the same answer... The next problem is getting it to stay static on reopening. I am thinking of getting a convert to string script on the submit button and generating a barcode...

Enough for now 😉

Good luck,

Niall

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

Jono_Moore

03-02-2009

The number that comes out isn't correct, it's 13 digits and if I put it into a time converter it comes out as: Tue Oct 27 2076 08:45:05 (should be today's date, and time is wrong).

http://www.esqsoft.com/javascript_examples/date-to-epoch.htm

Ah well, not really important except to figure out what I'm doing wrong math-wise. Maybe I'll try mucking with javascript.

Or maybe just the time in milliseconds for the day is enough, but I thought getting the full amount of milliseconds since epoch would be better - that way there's almost zero chance of a collision.