Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Why no design mode in sidekick in We.Retail pages?

Level 2

I created a template using We.Retail's base template, and then created pages using that template. I found there is no design mode in the sidekick when editing pages.

When editing the pages within We.Retail, I cannot see Design mode either. See below. My question is why and when Design mode appears in some pages, but not in other pages? same as Timewarp, Timewarp appears in some pages, but not in others.

1656402_pastedImage_5.png

Thanks,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kevin

The design appears in the side panel if the user is using static templates. For editable templates this should not appear.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi,

For editable template we can add components by going to the template editor mode

From page properties, click on "Edit Template" option

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 11.54.25 AM.png

Which takes to below page and we can add the required components in layout container (Click on second option)

http://<host>:<port>/editor.html/conf/we-retail/settings/wcm/templates/hero-page/structure.html

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 11.56.16 AM.png

Level 2

Thank you very much, Ravi, for the reply.

I know we can modify the policy in template editor to change components used by pages. I watched a class "AEM Authoring Building on Fundamentals" in the Pluralsight. In an example of this class, I can see the author created a template and built a page based on the template. After the page was created, the Design option is in the sidekick. I did exactly same thing as in the example, why the Design mode appeared in that page, but not in my page.

I tried to understand what difference between the example in the class and my page. Is it possible that the Design mode is removed from the Mode Sidekick if a page is created based on a template since if you want to change components, you have to make the change in the policy in Template Editor? I use AEM 6.4.

Thanks,

Kevin

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Kevin

The design appears in the side panel if the user is using static templates. For editable templates this should not appear.

Level 10

Veena is correct (that is why we marked her answer as correct)

If you attempt to use Design Mode for We Retail in order to add new components (or other sides based on Editbale Templates), you will notice that Design mode is not there.

The reason is pages based on Editable Templates do not have Design Mode. To add a component group, you need to add the component group by using the editable templates Policy.

For information about working with Policies and editable templates - see these series of videos -- Scott's Digital Community: Guided Journey for Experience Manager on Editable Templates 

Level 2

Hello @kevinh6115 
one thing to note here ,
Pages created from editable templates do not offer a Design mode in the page editor.
You can do same with Edit mode as well.
Thank you.