Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

While uploading an Asset, can we parse the filename, add some parts of it as metadata?

Former Community Member

Some assets being uploaded to AEM have a pre-defined naming convention, like name-number-size.jpg. While uploading the Asset is there anyway to read this file name, parse the..

1. name applied to title

2. number applied to another custom metadata field already defined on the schema?

We were thinking that the only option we have is to add an extra step to "Dam Update Asset" workflow.

There is a "Text Extraction" step but does not have many option to do any customization here..

AEM Version: AEM 6.3 SP2

Appreciate any advice.

8 Replies

Level 8

I don't think any other way available here,  we need to add an extra workflow step to extract data and store into the repository, using metadata schema mapping you can map with respective fields.

I am not sure, but you can just check is there any possibility with JS, but it is not recommended because the repository contains the full name of the file but metadata contains different data name -> title and number -> number field

I feel the effort which you are going to put for other approaches is higher than the straightforward workflow approach.

Level 10

Write a Sling Servlet that uses the AssetMamager and upload the Asset by using the Sling Servlet. You can code the servlet to meet your needs.

Level 10

Or you can - use you mentioned - write a custom AEM Workflow Step to modify the Asset.

Community Advisor

Hi,

You can try like below, where you can add listener while uploading image and retrieve title and add metadata

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2534789

Arun Patidar

Former Community Member

Customer wanted to do this only on AEM Author using OOTB interface.

Level 10

You may want to look at building an AEM custom workflow step that can perform these tasks.

Level 8

You need to create a new process step and add that into DAM Update Asset workflow, to create a workflow Process you can refer below article

Adobe Experience Manager Help | Creating custom AEM workflow steps that send email messages

• Inside the execute method read file from the payload
  • Using split function get the name and number.
  • Create a new property and add it to the image node
  • Finally using the metadata schema map the respective filelds