Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Where is the "Create Project" menu?

Former Community Member

Hello AEM Community, 

I am reading AEM document (https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/dev-tools/developing-with-crxde-lite.html#Creating a Project), however I am puzzled with 

Creating a Project

With CRXDE Lite you can create a working project in three clicks. The project wizard creates a new project under /apps, some content under /content and a package wrapping all the project the content under/etc/packages. The project can be used right away to render a sample page displaying Hello World, based on a jsp script that renders a property from the repository and calls a Java class to render some text.

To create a project with CRXDE Lite:

1. Open CRXDE Lite in your browser.
  2. In the Navigation pane, right-click a node, select Create ..., then Create Project ....
    Note: you can right-click any node in the tree navigation, as the new project nodes are, by design, created below /apps, /content and /etc/packages.

as I can not find the "Create Project" command. The version of my AEM is 6.2.0 and this document is also v6.2. 

On my CRXDE Lite interface, from the "Create" drop-down command menu and right-click command menu I can only find following commands

Create Node

Create File

Create Folder

Create Template

Create Component

Create Dialog

Why do I miss the "Create Project" command? How to get it? or was the CRXDE Lite interface changed but the document was not updated accordingly? 

Thanks so much in advance for your replies, 

David 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi David,

Basically you will not see create project option while creating any project. 
If you want to create a project, you need to right click on /apps and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, type your website as the folder name and click OK.

See below for your reference.

Setting up the project structure in CRXDE Lite

Use CRXDE Lite to create the mywebsite application structure in the repository:

• In the tree on the left side of CRXDE Lite, right-click the /apps folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, type mywebsite as the folder name and click OK.

• Right-click the /apps/mywebsite folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, typecomponents as the folder name and click OK.

• Right-click the /apps/mywebsite folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, typetemplates as the folder name and click OK.

The structure in the tree should now look something like this:

file
  • Click Save All.

I hope you are new to AEM. If you new to AEM, I strongly recommend to do this How to Website in AEM: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/the-basics/website.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Ratna Kumar.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi David,

Basically you will not see create project option while creating any project. 
If you want to create a project, you need to right click on /apps and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, type your website as the folder name and click OK.

See below for your reference.

Setting up the project structure in CRXDE Lite

Use CRXDE Lite to create the mywebsite application structure in the repository:

• In the tree on the left side of CRXDE Lite, right-click the /apps folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, type mywebsite as the folder name and click OK.

• Right-click the /apps/mywebsite folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, typecomponents as the folder name and click OK.

• Right-click the /apps/mywebsite folder and click Create > Create Folder. In the Create Folder dialog, typetemplates as the folder name and click OK.

The structure in the tree should now look something like this:

file
  • Click Save All.

I hope you are new to AEM. If you new to AEM, I strongly recommend to do this How to Website in AEM: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/aem/6-2/develop/the-basics/website.html

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Ratna Kumar.

Former Community Member

Thanks Ratna for your clarification! It's quite helpful. 

I am following the AEM document to move forward, while doing some exercises on my CRXDE Lite. I have finished the example that you mentioned. I only puzzled with the "Create Project" command in the document. Now it's clear with your reply. 

Thanks again, 

David 

Level 10

I would not follow that - its much better to build a project as Ratna suggests. Also - avoid building an OSGi bundle using CRXDE lite - its a bad way. The best way to build OSGi is using Maven. See the helpx articles that kautuk pointed you to in the other thread. 

Here is full listing of our AEM community articles - most will tell you how to build OSGi via Maven:

https://helpx.adobe.com/experience-manager/topics/how-to.html

Former Community Member

Thanks Smacdonald for your replies. I did try to follow the examples on the helpx however I was stumped with very basic questions like "what's a page?". As a pure newbie in AEM field, I should pick up basic concepts and knowledge before I move to do more complex projects. 

Of course, you are definitely right. The best way to learn AEM is to do projects/exercises following that list on helpx. I will move to this phase as quickly as possible. 

Regards,

David 

Level 10

In a lot of the HELPX articles -we cross reference to AEM docs where concepts like Templates, Pages, and components are explained. We cross reference for exactly the reason you stated - new ppl will quite often what to know what these are.

For example - here is a part of a HELPX that talks about Templates - notice that we do link to the DOC topic for an explanation. 

So docs are where AEM theory is and the HELPX are meant for 'How To' do something using AEM (typically not found in docs ) and various APIS, configurations, etc. 

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member

I am doing in this way now. doing so saves my time and moves more quickly. However, to build my AEM knowledge systematically I still think that reading the whole document is necessary. I will find time to do this work in the near future, but right now I am following the HELPX list to move forward. As you told, I am using the cross references to pick up related knowledge quickly. 

Thanks Smaconald!

Level 2

While I agree that setting up a Maven project is the way to go, I think the documentation for AEM 6.2 should be updated not to be misleading at the very least. At the moment, it explicitly mentions options that are simply not there.

Developing a project in CRXDE is not something I would recommend to a sworn enemy but it's quite useful when you want to explain the basic concepts behind Sling and AEM Templates and Components to someone without setting up a full blown development environment.