Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

What's the best way to use custom classes in JSP files

Level 2

Hey there

I'm kinda new to the OSGi development and to get some experience I'm trying to develop a smaller project for our company. Basically it's a form which allows the user to enter the business hours of their location, so I can submit them to a SAP web-service.

I already started developing something, but I'm unsure if I'm doing it in a proper way or if I should try another approach. What confuses me are the OSGi components and when to use a component. Is it considered good behaviour to directly import my custom classes into the JSP (via @page import) or should I put them into a component? The classes I use on my JSP actually don't provide much business logic, they're more sort of a data class.

I've created a JSP called openingtimes_global.jsp which includes my most common classes (like Dealer, Brand and Department) and the localization object. The file looks like this:

<%@include file="/libs/wcm/global.jsp" %> <%@page import="ch.company.webtech.cq.openingtimes.Dealer, ch.company.webtech.cq.openingtimes.Brand, ch.company.webtech.cq.openingtimes.Department, com.day.cq.wcm.api.WCMMode, org.apache.sling.api.resource.ResourceUtil, java.util.Locale, java.util.ResourceBundle, com.day.cq.i18n.I18n"%> <% Locale pageLocale = currentPage.getLanguage(true); ResourceBundle resourceBundle = slingRequest.getResourceBundle(pageLocale); I18n i18n = new I18n(resourceBundle); Dealer dealer = new Dealer(request.getHeader("USERID")); String brandName = ""; String dealerId = dealer.getDealerId(); String departmentName = ""; String id = ""; %>

My body.jsp then includes the global file, so I have access to the initialized dealer object.

<%@include file="/libs/wcm/global.jsp" %> <%@include file="/apps/openingtimes/components/openingtimes_global.jsp" %> <body> <h1><%= i18n.get("openingtimes") %></h1><% for(Brand brand : dealer.getBrands()) { brandName = brand.getBrandName(); %> <h1><%= i18n.get(brandName) %></h1> <div class="brand" > <ul><% for(Department department : brand.getDepartments()) { departmentName = department.getName(); id = brandName + "-" + departmentName; %><li><a href="#<%= id %>"><%= i18n.get(departmentName) %></a></li><% } %> </ul><% for(Department department : brand.getDepartments()) { departmentName = department.getName(); id = brandName + "-" + departmentName; %><div id="<%= id %>" class="department" > <form class="timeForm"> <cq:include script="/apps/openingtimes/components/contentpage/timetable.jsp" /> <input type="hidden" name="brand" value="<%= brandName %>" /> <input type="hidden" name="department" value="<%= departmentName %>" /> <input type="hidden" name="dealerId" value="<%= dealerId %>" /> <center><button type="submit" value="Speichern" class="save"><%= i18n.get("save")%></button></center> </form> </div><% }%> </div><% }%> <h1><%= i18n.get(brandName) &></h1> <div class="brand"> <% %> </div> </body>

I think that it would be possible to create a service for the dealer object (since it has some initialization code, which queries some data from a LDAP server), but what about my data classes like Department and Brand. Should I create a service for those too? I think it's a bit overkill because I'd have to request those services from sling, just because my dealer object returns those object types.

Overall, I'm confident that I'd be able to create a working application, but I'm more worried that it would be considered "crappy code". Is my way of doing things ok or should I try another approach?

Sorry if my question seems a bit weird, I'm just a bit unsure since it's my first real CQ application :)

Thank you
Ahatius

0 Replies