Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is the best practice to move code base and content pages from author env to publish env?

Level 7

Hi,

This might be a silly question for all of you smiley . But I'm in confusion that what we have to replicate/publish and what we have deploy/install to publish environment. Normally we will replicate content pages using "Activation Tree". We can also replicate etc/designs. The actual code which is there in apps folder, will it also be replicated using Activation Tree? Will the functionality of all the components work properly by doing like this? Is this the best way?

What my thinking is that we have to deploy the code(apps-components+clientlibs) to publish by maven commands or we can directly install the package through package manager and we have to replicate content pages using Activation Tree. Is it correct way? Please let me know. When we replicated all the things like apps,etc,content, etc, I got problems. The JavaScript is not loaded in published pages. Your comments are welcome. I'm using AEM6.0.

Thanks,

AryA.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10
4 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Employee Advisor

When we talk about production systems, I would always prefer the installation of new code etc. directly on publish instances, and not using replication for it. The reasons for this:

• You should not deploy all publish instances at the same time to achieve high availability on your public facing side. When you use replication you need to fiddle with the agents (enable, disable) and constantly obvserve the queues to detect when the replication is finished (for example in order to perform a restart). Cumbersome.
  • Deployment via replication normally takes longer than just installing via package manager
  • Deployment via replication is harder to automate.

regards,
Jörg

Employee

In addition to what Joerg writes, it is worth pointing out that replication of application code should not be allowed if you have followed the Security Checklist. In a production system, the only content which should be replicatable (meaning that the replication receiver user has write access to) is authored content.