Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

What is the actual use-case for binary-less replication.

Community Advisor

Dear Contributors,

I read many online articles for binary less replication and what I extract from those articles are: 

1. all your datastore will be hosted somewhere in external datastore;

2. this external datastore will used in your author and publisher instance as binary provider so you not need to host actual data on your AEM servers;

3. AEM publish instance will have only metadata for the assets.

Now my question is can I treat Dynamic media(scene7) as external datasource for my publishers and how binary-less replication can be used here?

if I can then what should I do reduce the load of assets from publisher instance as we are keeping fallback assets on publishers as well.

My simple use-case is, have one author and 4 publisher instance configured with Dynamic media all the publishers are also having all the assets as fallback which is occupying lost of space on publisher's server, I don't want those data to  remain on publishers.

Please suggest .

Thank you

Umesh Thakur 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Binary less replication only works in the context of AEM. And it is just an optimization in the operation, which does not change anything on an application level itself. That means, all the JCR semantics still apply. That means your AEM publishs instances are able to deliver binaries, even if they receive content updates via binaryless replication. What you mention as "fallback assets" will continue to work.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

Binary less replication only works in the context of AEM. And it is just an optimization in the operation, which does not change anything on an application level itself. That means, all the JCR semantics still apply. That means your AEM publishs instances are able to deliver binaries, even if they receive content updates via binaryless replication. What you mention as "fallback assets" will continue to work.