Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

WebServices: OSGI or JQuery

Level 7

Hi,

I suggested my team member to implement WebServices using OSGI, but for some reason, he ended up using JQuery.

Now, I started weighing these two options.

One striking plus for OSGI are the advantages of OSGI, like hot deployment, having concurrent versions, industry standard, etc.

On the security front,the web services are public.

Are my above points valid?

Also, any other comparisons in the security, performance, etc fronts?

Appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Rama.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

any services is better to be as java package (OSGi bundles). Problem with JQuery would be, if there are any JS errors for some UI bug, then your service might also stop working, keeping services at the front end is not recommended.

Security can still be achieved if you have written the java webservices using authentication for the URLs to access.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Level 10

Its better to create an AEM service that is able to consume a 3rd party SOAP stack or Restful service using compiled code. OSGi is the way to proceed here. I have always preferred compiled JAVA code over interpreted JS code where possible. 

Correct answer by
Level 10

any services is better to be as java package (OSGi bundles). Problem with JQuery would be, if there are any JS errors for some UI bug, then your service might also stop working, keeping services at the front end is not recommended.

Security can still be achieved if you have written the java webservices using authentication for the URLs to access.