Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Web notifications for AEM sites

Level 6

Is there any AEM OOTB solutions to create and send web notifications in AEM sites? I was wondering if there's something similar to ACS Commons System Notifications feature, https://adobe-consulting-services.github.io/acs-aem-commons/features/system-notifications/index.html... to achieve this.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Still, I am not clear on which type of "alerts" you are trying to capture, Adobe I/O will help you if you are planning to cover alerts that are related to AEM, for example, if assets are uploaded, if rendition is created, or any action which hits AEM server (custom event), etc. But if you are trying to capture metrics for a page such as loading time, CFL, etc. Adobe I/O won't help in this case.  

Esteban Bustamante

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Community Advisor

Would you mind elaborating more about which type of events? But in short, the answer is: Yes, you could use Adobe I/O which uses an event/subscribe pattern. There are ootb events and also you can create custom ones.

You can learn more here: https://developer.adobe.com/events/docs/guides/using/aem/

Esteban Bustamante

Level 6

I'm looking towards having some notification system in place to alert the site visitors about any time sensitive alerts related to business. Something that could be easily delivered to the end user without the need of creating an AEM page for the same.

Level 6

@EstebanBustamante Any suggestions? I haven't checked out Adobe I/O events in details, but do you think it's what I should look into? Or should I explore some third party web notification services or would it be better to have some custom AEM implementation(My alignment is towards a custom solution. The reason being if we use some third party services for web notifications it would be dependant on users browser settings. Since these alerts are critical to the end users I'm not sure if I can rely completely on web notifications, but rather build a custom AEM solution). Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Still, I am not clear on which type of "alerts" you are trying to capture, Adobe I/O will help you if you are planning to cover alerts that are related to AEM, for example, if assets are uploaded, if rendition is created, or any action which hits AEM server (custom event), etc. But if you are trying to capture metrics for a page such as loading time, CFL, etc. Adobe I/O won't help in this case.  

Esteban Bustamante

Level 1

He's asking about a site-wide messaging banner that displays to the user on a site visit. your answer is not correct or helpful. 

Community Advisor

Thanks @user12648, I didn't understand the question.

@jezwn, if you are simply looking for a way to display a banner on a public AEM site, the easiest approach is to add a custom banner component (likely within an XF) that you can update easily once, and then have the component displayed on all the pages where it is placed. This would follow the same approach as how the "nav" component works on the wknd site. If your question was about whether there is an out-of-the-box (OOTB) banner component available, there isn't one. So, I think your idea of creating a custom component would be the way to go.

Hope this helps

Esteban Bustamante