Expand my Community achievements bar.

July 31st AEM Gems Webinar: Elevate your AEM development to master the integration of private GitHub repositories within AEM Cloud Manager.
SOLVED

WCM edit mode causes browsers to crash (5.6.1)

Level 4

Hello,

Our project has repeatedly battled with an issue for a few months now: we are unable to author whole-page content with the author's edit mode.  Once a page reaches a certain size (15-20 components), the user's browser (we've tried several) crashes, due to an unresponsive page.  We have been working around this impediment by authoring pages in separate pages for each "section", then concatenating the pages' jcr:content children.

The issue is likely caused by javascript, though we haven't pinned down the exact source of problems.  Periodically, the browsers report unresponsive scripts in one of the widgets.js, though it appears to happen with several of the 12 widgets.js files that are pulled into the requested page.  Where do these includes come from (they seem to be automatic), and how can we suppress them?  For example, I doubt we need to include security, commerce, scene7, or personalization widgets.

We also have a dependency on cq.shared, that we would like to slim down, if possible.  Is there any documentation around this clientlib and what it provides?

Thanks!
Dave Hughes

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 4

This was a known issue.  Day Care was able to provide a patch to resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 4

This was a known issue.  Day Care was able to provide a patch to resolve the issue.

Level 9

Which browser causes this crashes? Do you have any add-ons on browser? Have you tried in other browser?

I suggest to try in any other browser and also try without cf# in url

Level 4

We've experienced this in various versions of practically every browser (at least those which we actually care about): Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Opera, Safari.  We've tried this on several different computers, loading pages from several different environments.

Removing the content finder (/cf#) from the request URL makes no difference.

I've attached a screenshot to show three "unresponsive script" messages reported by Firefox before it crashed.  The next time the page was loaded, the reported lines were different.  Debugging those jumped into listener related functions, such as "updateComponentList()".  We are using cq:EditListenersConfig for some components, so as to refresh the page on component edit/delete.