Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Update Asset Workflow - do not run it for PDF sub-assets

Level 3

Hi,

I'm using Bulk Workflow Manager  (ACS AEM Commons v 2.3) to create new renditions for images and PDF. I'm running "Update Asset Workflow"

It takes a lot of time.

I checked error.log and found out that it is because of process sub-assets for PDF. One PDF can contain 100+ pages (sub-assets) and every page is processed as a separate asset. 

I don't need new renditions for PDF sub-asserts

Question: What is the best way to skip processing PDF sub-assets?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

1) Are these existing assets youre re-processing (they've been through DAM Update Asset once before)?

2) If you do not need to extract sub assets at all, you can remove the "Create Sub asset" step from your DAM Update Asset Workflow Model (or create a copy and remove the step, and run that via BWM)

Also, if youre re-generating renditions (images) to have different sizes, crops, etc. you should see if you need to do this. Typically its better to use the OOTB renditions (assuming the 1280x1280 web rendition is a sufficient max size) and then use something like the Image Component, ACS AEM Commons Named Image Transform, or AEM Dynamic Media to create specific renditions on the flash (and cache them in dispatcher or on DM CDN). This exactly the problem w trying to customize renditions at the Asset level, when biz requirements change, you have to reprocess (and reactive) all your effected assets; not good.

FWIW - This isnt Bulk Workflow Manager related, but rather AEM Workflow related (BWM simply is the mechanism that is applying the AEM Workflow).

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

I am getting the author of that code to look at this question. 

Correct answer by
Employee

1) Are these existing assets youre re-processing (they've been through DAM Update Asset once before)?

2) If you do not need to extract sub assets at all, you can remove the "Create Sub asset" step from your DAM Update Asset Workflow Model (or create a copy and remove the step, and run that via BWM)

Also, if youre re-generating renditions (images) to have different sizes, crops, etc. you should see if you need to do this. Typically its better to use the OOTB renditions (assuming the 1280x1280 web rendition is a sufficient max size) and then use something like the Image Component, ACS AEM Commons Named Image Transform, or AEM Dynamic Media to create specific renditions on the flash (and cache them in dispatcher or on DM CDN). This exactly the problem w trying to customize renditions at the Asset level, when biz requirements change, you have to reprocess (and reactive) all your effected assets; not good.

FWIW - This isnt Bulk Workflow Manager related, but rather AEM Workflow related (BWM simply is the mechanism that is applying the AEM Workflow).

Level 3

1. Yes. And now I've added new renditions in Tumbnails Process Step of Dam Update Asset workflow and want to create new renditions for assets (images, pdfs)

2. I will try it.

For using "Image Component, ACS AEM Commons Named Image Transform, or AEM Dynamic Media" and not using custom renditions - great point, thank you.