Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Unable to delete a node with 40000 child nodes

Level 1

Hi,

We are using CQ55(upgraded from CQ5.3).

Due to a bug in our of our script, a node is created under a page which has now 40000 child nodes(each of which contains 10 child nodes). So in total we have around 40k at the first level and a total of 400000 nodes under this node.

Due to this our repository size has increased abnormally.

The issue we are facing is that we are not able to delete this node by any means. We tried by CRX Explorer,  a standalone code(to just delete the node). However each time, we try to delete this node, the Servers stops responding to users and we do not have any other option but to restart the CQ5 service in order to bring it back to normal. We could even find any update in the logs.

Can anyone suggest a solution using which we can delete this node from our repository.

Regards,

Vamsi

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Did you do it with the Preliminary Scan Unchecked?  I also misunderstood your problem I've used the recursive delete to delete 100,000+ nodes, but they were nested in manageable chunks.  Have you monitored the memory when you do this?  It's my understanding that the problem is probably the 40,000 nodes at the same level.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Level 2

If you use the legacy CRX Browser /crx/explorer (sign in as with appropriate user if not already) and use the Content Explorer to browse to the tree, there is a "Delete Recursively" Right-Click Option that should be able to handle this no problem.  I have no idea why it isn't in CRXDELite...

[img]recursive-delete.PNG[/img]

Level 7

Hi, have you tried iterating through the child nodes of your monster node and deleting these 100 at a time.
After 100 nodes (with 10 child nodes each that becomes 1000) you make sure that you do a session save.
I don't think that doing more than 1000 at a time would works very well so with this method you might not kill your application :)

Good Luck
/Johan

Level 1

msulliva wrote...

If you use the legacy CRX Browser /crx/explorer (sign in as with appropriate user if not already) and use the Content Explorer to browse to the tree, there is a "Delete Recursively" Right-Click Option that should be able to handle this no problem.  I have no idea why it isn't in CRXDELite...

HI,

We tried this option. It collects all the nodes information and start deleting first set of 1034 nodes and stops there. There is no further response and it remains as it is. The server load is high for some time and after that there is nothing happening.

Regards,

Vamsi

Correct answer by
Level 2

Did you do it with the Preliminary Scan Unchecked?  I also misunderstood your problem I've used the recursive delete to delete 100,000+ nodes, but they were nested in manageable chunks.  Have you monitored the memory when you do this?  It's my understanding that the problem is probably the 40,000 nodes at the same level.

Level 1

We have checked the check box for "preliminary Scan". It shows that there are 400000 nodes and then proceeds for deleting which halts. 

As you mentioned, 40000 nodes at the same level is the the problem.