Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

The first node in a transient workflow must be of type: PROCESS but was of type: PARTICIPANT

Community Advisor

I am getting following error after starting my workflow

8 Replies

Level 10

Should have first step as process.

Can you share the screenshot of workflow model?

Community Advisor

Hi,

The process step can be expected as first step because when you run a workflow in transient mode AEM does not store any workflow history but when the transient workflow enters a participant step it changes mode (at runtime) to non-transient; as the task is being passed to a person the history needs to be persisted.

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

what will be the first process step to get workflow initiator ?

Community Advisor

you can use process step to assign workflow to initiator.

Screenshot 2019-01-07 at 7.14.07 PM.png

Arun Patidar

Community Advisor

but it gives `workflow-service` as a initiator. I need current user name

Level 10

Here is the documentation that describes how to participate in a workflow - Participating in Workflows

Level 2

@here,

I was reading this doc: Developing and Extending Workflows

is there any benefit to marking a workflow as transient, if it does have a participant step, or it has an AND split (or any other condition that makes the workflow non-transient) ?

We are trying to decide if it's worth the hassle.

Additionally, it seems like no matter what, the initiator of a transient workflow will always be "workflow-service", is that the case? always?

Thanks.

Community Advisor

I would go with transient if there is no user interaction like DAM Asset Upload workflow. If you are not sure whether to use transient or non-transient with user interaction you can go with non-transient.

The workflow purge tool can help you to get rid of workflow instances which created for non-transient workflow .

Purge workflow and audit nodes

Arun Patidar