Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

TarMK Compaction estimates much, reclaims zero

Level 3

Dear experts,

I have online TarMK compaction configured and sometimes it does get rid of stuff, but mostly it announces a lot:

org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.file.FileStore Estimated compaction in 11.69 min, gain is 12% (31013621760/35640866304) or (31.0 GB/35.6 GB), so running compaction
91383:29.01.2016 02:11:41.848 *INFO* [TarMK compaction thread [/opt/database/www/apps/publish/crx-quickstart/repository/segmentstore], active since Fri Jan 29 02:00:00 MET 2016, previous max duration 4738653ms] org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.segment.file.FileStore TarMK compaction running, strategy=DefaultCompactionStrategy [pauseCompaction=false, cloneBinaries=false, cleanup=CLEAN_OLD, olderThan=36000000]

But in the end it reclaims zero. I tried changing olderThan parameter over JMX to 3600 and also changing CLEAN_OLD to CLEAN_ALL, but it did not help.

Is there a way to give the compactor more courage to remove garbage?

Kind regards,

Ivan

11 Replies

Level 6

HI Ivan,

From which JMX config you changed the value?

Level 6

HI Ivan,

Have you tried earlier with offline compaction?

If not, for the first time , run offline compaction and carry forward you can have use of online compaction

Level 3

This one:

org.apache.jackrabbit.oak: "Segment node store compaction strategy settings" ("CompactionStrategy")

Level 6

Online compaction is not as fast as offline compaction to clear the data. If we run  online compaction , you are not able to see impact on disk space immediately.

If Offline compaction is running fine , then configure online compaction. Minimum 10 hours should be require the purge the values from stores for online compaction script...

Level 3

Thank you a lot for you answers!

Yes, I read once that online compaction is slower. The strange thing is, after a minute of compaction there is a message in the log "TarMK revision cleanup completed". Does the script continue running afterwards?

Level 3

I'm sorry, but the repo just keeps growing.

I think, the compactor reclaims a little, but the newly produced garbage overtrumps all the progress. So, overall the size increases steadily.

Employee

What is the use case for your AEM instance? Are you uploading a lot of assets?

Can you confirm what happened to the repository size when you ran offline compaction?

Regards,

Opkar

Level 3

Sorry for the delay.

You are right, there is a lot of asset uploading going on and some regular site changes.

Offline compaction reduces the size by more than 50 percent.

Since 19. February there is a hotfix available to update oak to 1.2.11. Maybe it will get better after update?

Kind regards,

Ivan