Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Suggestion on RTE

Community Advisor

Hello people,

I need suggestion on use of RTE as Component and in a Content Fragment.

It will generate component JSON with HTML tags. Is it XSS attack proof to use for authoring purpose?

Please provide your views on it.

Thanks.

cc: @aanchal-sikka @Harwinder-singh @EstebanBustamante @arunpatidar @Tanika02 @Sady_Rifat 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Administrator

My Opinion - Not Adobe's

Yes, using Multiline Rich Text Content Fragment Model data type can pose a security concern if not handled properly. While it allows for authoring formatted content, it can also introduce the risk of XSS attacks if malicious scripts or HTML tags are injected into the content.

Maybe worth checking this via the Support channel to have the Engineering team look at it. 

Kautuk Sahni

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

XSS protection is to not save some attribute which can cause XSS, JSON I think you can use, you can try to add those values and whitelist the tags/attribute which you want

Arun Patidar

Administrator

When using RTE to generate component JSON with HTML tags, it's crucial to implement proper sanitization and validation measures to prevent XSS vulnerabilities. RTEs allow users to input and format text, which can potentially introduce malicious scripts into the generated HTML.

Kautuk Sahni

Community Advisor

Thank @kautuk_sahni Yeah I understood this.

My next doubt would be, we need to use Multiline Rich Text Content Fragment Model data type as to author formatted content like bold text, bullet points etc. with OOTB data type, and it will be expose via model exporter to Frontend to consume. Will it be a security concern?

Correct answer by
Administrator

My Opinion - Not Adobe's

Yes, using Multiline Rich Text Content Fragment Model data type can pose a security concern if not handled properly. While it allows for authoring formatted content, it can also introduce the risk of XSS attacks if malicious scripts or HTML tags are injected into the content.

Maybe worth checking this via the Support channel to have the Engineering team look at it. 

Kautuk Sahni