Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

style attribute not being rendered

Level 2

I'm trying to add a style dynamically with HTL.

HTL code is:

<section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.style="${header.cssStyle}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header"> </section>

And in my Java class I have:

public class Header extends WCMUsePojo { private String imagePath; @Override public void activate() throws Exception { ValueMap properties = getProperties(); this.imagePath = properties.get("fileReference", ""); } public String getCssStyle() { return imagePath.isEmpty() ? "" : String.format("background-image: url('%s')", imagePath); } }

But it's not being rendered, even when imagePath gets a valid value. I also tried using contexts, but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas as what might be the problem?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks PuzanovsP!

Unfortunately it was my mistake when trying to put the code here, but in my code the method exists so the error is elsewhere. I edit my question to remove it since it's not really relevant.

What I think is happening is that HTL thinks that putting background-image: url('/some/path') in the file can be harmful, I just don't know why. So my question is still open.

Thanks for the suggestion on SlingModels it seems interesting.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Community Advisor

Hi Carloso,

1) Create getter for cssClass variable, then, it will be shown.

2) Consider using SlingModels, instead of WCMUse, it will promote cleaner code and better system in general.

Regards,

Peter

Correct answer by
Level 2

Thanks PuzanovsP!

Unfortunately it was my mistake when trying to put the code here, but in my code the method exists so the error is elsewhere. I edit my question to remove it since it's not really relevant.

What I think is happening is that HTL thinks that putting background-image: url('/some/path') in the file can be harmful, I just don't know why. So my question is still open.

Thanks for the suggestion on SlingModels it seems interesting.

Employee

Specify @ context='styleString' in your component.

For style attributes you need to see this manually.

More info here: https://docs.adobe.com/docs/en/htl/docs/expression-language.html

Employee
  1. <section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.style="${header.cssStyle @ context='styleString' }" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header">
  3. </section>

Level 2

Thanks Feike!

I tried all contexts but none were solving the issue. Is there a log to see why HTL thinks my css rule is harmful?

I tried to change the attribute to id just to see what might be going on:

<section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.id="${header.cssStyle @ context='styleString'}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header"> <section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.id="${header.cssStyle @ context='styleToken'}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header"> <section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.id="${header.cssStyle @ context='styleComment'}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header"> <section class="header-page" data-sly-attribute.id="${header.cssStyle @ context='unsafe'}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header">

Using styleString the css rule was being weirdly escaped. Using styleToken nothing was being rendered. Using styleComment and unsafe was "working" correctly.

I then tried to not use data-sly-attribute.style but style directly and again using the previous context, the first two didn't rendered anything while styleComment and unsafe did. So this is what I'm using right now:

<section class="header-page" style="${header.cssStyle @ context='unsafe'}" data-sly-use.header="com.acme.foo.Header">

I'll not called it a solution, but for the time being at least it works.

Employee

What is the attribute value you are trying to output?

Level 2
background-image: url('/path/to/image.jpg');

Employee

Indeed, this is weird. I guess the XSS-api validates that this is an xss-issue.

I raised this Sling issue to who is right :-)

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-6490

Employee

the following is working for me.

Java:

public class Style {

public String style = "/content/dam/we-retail/en/experiences/arctic-surfing-in-lofoten/camp-fire.jpg";

}

HTL:

style="background-image: url('${ fv.style @ context='styleString'}')

Level 1

Hi Feike,

If we are just getting image path from Java as a string property and setting it in HTL using the way you mentioned, should we stop using  @context='unsafe' and continue with 'styleString' ?

Do you foresee any other errors/leakages through this approach?

Employee

Yes indeed, you should aim to avoid 'unsafe, always.